Engine Shuts down soon after starting

2Peter119

Threads
Good Morning: Engine is a 5 hp Honda horizontal shaft used on a pressure washer. Engine starts right up (no load applied), runs about 10 seconds and abruptly shuts off (like what would happen with a kill switch). Engine will start pretty quick again but same thing happens. At first, engine ran a little longer and finally, after about 5 starts, would keep going strong. Now it just starts and stops. I've done the normal things: checked plug, cleaned air filter, drained tank, run Sea Foam thru engine, removed carb and fuel pump. Disassembled carb and run thru sonic cleaner (5/1 water/Simple Green), blew carb jets out with compressed air, cleaned tank filter, checked fuel tank cap vacuum relief. No improvement. Pretty much stumped at this point and would appreciate any suggestions. - Al

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Crankcase oil level not at proper level, or the switch is faulty. Check oil level and bring to full mark and retry. if that doesn't work then unplug the oil float from the kill system. May also want to change the spark plug. Have seen plugs on Honda engines have start and die issues on more than one engine. Other than that could be a carb issue, or fuel issue.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
How was the oil level.
Most Honda horizontals have an oil switch that shuts down the engine if the oil level drops.
When the oil gets a little low the motor starts and throws oil all over the engine causing the oil level to drop just enough to activate the safety switch.
Most are just plain kill switches so can be disconnected for diagnosis purpose

2Peter119

Threads
Changed out spark plug and engine started on second pull. Few hiccups then ran smooth. I'm feeling a little foolish but I checking the plug was one of the first things I tried. Seemed to be a decent blue spark so I kept the plug. Sure could have saved a lot of work and I appreciate the sound advice. Incidentally, the engine is a Honda GC-160 and I'll check if it has a low-oil shut-off. Thanks again for help - Al

primerbulb120

Threads
Honda GX engines have low oil shutdown, I haven't seen it on the GC series.