Engine runs when bottle fed but draws no fuel through two different carbs.

Paxman

Threads
  • / Engine runs when bottle fed but draws no fuel through two different carbs.
Before scrapping out this unit please make one more check. Auger and wheels not preforming properly are normally caused by one of three things. Bad belts, bad tensioner pulleys, or bad tensioner arm. With these old mules I would be trying to repair before buying 90% of the new pieces of crap on the market today.
I hear you and I agree. But my initial fault finding is that the auger woodruff keys are gone. I can rotate the impeller without the input shaft spinning, and I haven't found a source for keys here in Sweden.

And, as I wrote, I think there are a bunch of things that need attention so I feel that this might be a can of worms waiting to be opened. If it was mine, and I had the space for it, I would definitely give it a go...but since my friend is not that technically inclined I feel that it might be a little too much for him to tackle. The machine is mechanically worn out with everything sloppy and some parts missing, so I think that it would be best to sell it as a parts machine or for someone else to restore.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Ok, I wish I was there to take it off your hands.

MowerNick

Threads
Id stay away from anything simplicity. They are owned buy Briggs and stratton and from what i heard they are either selling the line or eliminating it. they are doin the same with snapper too.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Nick, first I wish you would read and understand the entire thread before making a comment like that. We’re talking about an old Simplicity blower, old mule was my name for it. Second, I’ll agree Briggs purchased Simplicity but even the new Simplicity units are better than most of the crap built today. I’m not saying they have the same past quality. Finally, can you name one of today’s snowblowers that was built with the same quality of a 10 year old Smplicity?

Paxman

Threads
Yeah...and this machine was built when Simplicity was a part of Allis Chalmers which means it from 1983 or earlier. Back in the days when stuff was made to last...but it's over 40 years old so it's no wonder it's worn.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Yeah...and this machine was built when Simplicity was a part of Allis Chalmers which means it from 1983 or earlier. Back in the days when stuff was made to last...but it's over 40 years old so it's no wonder it's worn.

I have a 1976 Ariens snowblower that is built like a tank.

You can make a woodruff key yourself with some patience. Maybe take a little time and go through the snowblower and see what it needs. Maybe it is too worn out, but typically snowblowers have very little hours on them.

Paxman

Threads
I have a 1976 Ariens snowblower that is built like a tank.

You can make a woodruff key yourself with some patience. Maybe take a little time and go through the snowblower and see what it needs. Maybe it is too worn out, but typically snowblowers have very little hours on them.
I want to thank all of you again for your suggestions, but due to circumstances this machine will not be fixed by me or my friend. It's just not worth the effort and money for us. Maybe some one else have the time, money, energy and space to get it running again.

kjonxx

Threads
Hi all!

I'm helping a friend that was given an old Simplicity snow thrower with a Tecumseh engine that we have no info about.

I did the usual primary checks: spark, fuel directly into cylinder and got it to cough off. I then dunked the carb in the ultra sonic cleaner and we tried to start the thing. When spraying fuel directly into the carb it runs with good power but as soon as I stop feeding it it dies. I found an old carb that is the same with a little smaller throttle throat diameter and tested...same behavior, it starts and runs as long as I squirt fuel directly into the carb and dies as soon as I stop. I tried to cup the carb to force fuel to be drawn from the float bowl (which gets filled) but nothing.

I'm totally at a loss here. We know it has spark, we know that there is compression and obviously it has air. The only thing missing is the fuel...but why doesn't it draw it from the bowl with either of the two carbs? I have tried to see if there is any intake leaks but I can't see anything that indicates any cracks or bad gaskets. Also, when I cupped the carb there was pretty good suction.

We have ordered a new carb (Chinese from Amazon for about $10) but to me that's a shot in the dark since we tested two different carbs and there was no difference.

Any one with any idea what can be the issue?

Kind regards
Fred
Replace the gas line. blow tank out from drain or gas line.