Engine Rebuild Kit?

bkwildlifecntrl

Forum Newbie
Threads
Recently I bought this used feeder/auger trailer to fill pig and deer feeders. The engine powering it all is a Brigg and Stratton 5hp Electric start, Model 133437, type 1050 E1, Code 990528YA. Runs good but smokes and gets hot. Already has dropped my labor 10-fold filling feed. So, given that I decided I would replace the motor. I contact Briggs and they had a newer replacement not 133437 but one that takes it place.
Now that I have ordered that. I am now looking for a rebuild kit for this older motor. but can’t find much.
Can anyone steer me in the right direction? I would like to rebuild this motor and have it as a backup or heck maybe throw on a cart for my grandbaby.
I included pics of the engine, and thanks in advanced for any help.20200319_191128resized.jpg20200319_191131resized.jpg20200319_191140resized.jpg20200319_191142resized.jpg20200319_191151resized.jpgModel Stamp.jpg

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Briggs does not actually have a rebuild kit. You will have to buy individual parts.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would take the head off and check the cylinder. If it is smooth i would just get a ball hone to break the glaze and put new rings in it. Check the valves for play in the valve guides. That is a weak point of that engine. If there is noticeable side to side movement a shop with the tools can ream the block and install new guides. Then you need to fit new valves and lap them in.

Romore

Threads
A bit of sideplay in the valve is normal and desireable, without it the valve will seize when the engine gets hot. Unless there is a ridge at the top of the cylinder cleanup and rings should buy some time otherwise a new engine is in order. A rebore is possible but cost prohibitive.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
That's a pretty high quality engine, but if smoking I'd guess it has some serious hours on it. Might be a good application for a Predator engine, Harbor Freight, under $100 right now. Pretty decent little motors and the mounting is pretty universal. Worth a look. Check the shaft size and length, I'd guess it's the same, but check it.

Romore

Threads
The Predator is nowhere near the engine that he has plus the canted cylinder and lower crank centerline pose installation issues.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Just a note here. When the new engine arrives you may need to shorten the crankshaft or at least the last two new engine installs on log splitters required it here so the LoveJoy would fit inside the retaining cage/pump adapter.

Ron_AU

Threads
I'd be tempted to store the new engine away and run this one on thicker oil, then use it until it breathes it's last. Rod out the side, type of thing.
You might get a few more years out of it yet.
That's what I tend to do anyway, best way to get your money's worth.
I doubt if people recondition these engines, probably not economically viable to do so. By the time you acquire all the parts and get a machine shop to do a rebore and guides, plus your time to do the work, it all adds up.

bkwildlifecntrl

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK first let me apologize. seems notifications for this forum were turned off on my phone.Well its been a few so i felt it only right to reply and thank everyone that posted responds.

Long story short the old engine went tits up, even started a small fire smh. I think it may still be able to be saved, but i went ahead and finally found a bolt up replacement. So for people looking for a replacement bolt up for the Brigg and Stratton 5hp Electric start, Model 133437, type 1050 E1, Code 990528YA ....

the replacement is Briggs & Stratton 130G37-0183-F1 900 Series Engine MPN: BS130G37-0183-F1

i can verify this bolted right up and will give after pictures. hopefully this helps someone searching later that have the same issues i did finding a replacement.

Now I have come into another issue. the starter etc on this on is completely different and the manual of course doesn't tell you how and where to wire it up to a battery. The old engine i have had a simple flip on and off switch on the motor then i used a push button to start it. would really like to do the same here. I have it all together and already pull started it no issues, but if I have electric start I feel i might as well use it.

Anyone that could tell me like a third grader how to hook this thing up to a battery and switch i would really appreciate it.

Ron_AU

Threads
From basic principles:

Starter should have 2 connections to it.
Big one on the starter body to the battery.
Smaller one on the solenoid to your push button switch.

Photo of starter connections will help, if I got this wrong.