Engine Problem - Help is appreciated

X-Mark

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello everyone I'm new this forum and have a mower problem I hope you can help me with.

I have a 2000 year model Exmark zero turn mower with a Kawasaki FH641V 21HP motor. I purchased it new and it now has 700 hours on the motor. At the beginning of each season I chance the oil, oil filter, air filter and lube all the zerks. It has been used twice this spring already cutting about three acres with no issues at all.

Today it would not start or crank at all. I replaced the battery which was a couple of years old and it made a noise like it was trying to start but the starter gear would not rise up and engage the flywheel. I removed the starter and took it to a local shop and they said it was bad and needed to be rebuilt. Needing the mower now I purchased a new starter and installed it and went ahead and replaced the solenoid at the same time while I was at it.

The mower started up but not with the force I would have expected from a new battery, starter and solenoid. It seemed to drag just a little but did start.

My wife got on it and started moowing and about 15 minutes in it died and would not start. The starter tries to engage but the engine will not turn. She said she smelled a buring smell and saw a little smoke come from the engine when it died. She thinks the smell was electrial but not 100% sure and could not tell me where the smoke came from.

I find nothing wrong at all after a complete visual inspection. No burned wires, no blown fuses, etc. I have tested the voltage to the solenoid and to the starter and it is 12 volt. I pulled the top cover off and put a ssocket and break over bar on the bolt at the top of the fly wheel and it will only turn about 1/8 to 1/4 turn in either direction (very little).

The oil level is full and no signs of metal in the oil.

It's like the starter does not have enough power to turn the engine over.

My concern is if something has failed internally causing the motor to lock up.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Mark

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Try removing the electric pto clutch and then see if the engine will turn. If a bearing seized in the clutch it could act like it is locked up.

X-Mark

Forum Newbie
Threads
Try removing the electric pto clutch and then see if the engine will turn. If a bearing seized in the clutch it could act like it is locked up.

That is an excellent ideal. Thanks

X-Mark

Forum Newbie
Threads

Ilengine,

THANK YOU!

That was exactly the problem. As I removed it the metal shield on the top bearing fell to the floor and then I noticed the ball retainer was eat up and all the balls to one side. You were 100% correct that it was the bearing. Of course they make these were you cannot replace the bearing!

The engine fired right up and sounds GREAT. I think I will pay closer attention in the future. The engine was so quiet that it was obvious the clutch bearing had been failing for some time and I just overlooked the noise.

I really appreciate your help.

Mark

Threads
Good call Ilengine..:thumbsup: