Engine Oil

tlj

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a scag turf tiger with a kohler engine. what type of engine oil should I use?

possum

Threads
That depends on what type of Kohler engine you have. The K and Magnum engines used 30 in warm weather. Kohler pretty much calls for 10w30 for all the newer engines like the Command, Courage, Aegis engines as first choice but allows 30 for temps above 50 degrees. They always reccomend their Kohler oil, that is pretty much an HDEO. Around here most folks use 30 in the Courage engines through the mowing season. The rest use any 10w30 they find handy. My dealer uses 30 in his and puts 30 in all of the ones he does service on unless a customer states he wants 10w30 or intends to use it for winter service. I have used both in mine and can tell no difference. I would get an operators book for your engine or go to the Kohler site and look it up if I were you.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Kohler recommends using a high quality detergent oil of API service class SG, SH, SJ or higher. You can use any make or type of oil you want as long as it meets those recommendations. I use Mobil 5000 10w30 in all my engines, Kohler, Kawasaki and Honda, have ever since I can remember and never have had a problem. The key is to change your oil and oil filter regularly. If your in Hawaii I'd use the 10w30. Another thing, if this is a new engine stay away from the Synthetic oils for at least 50 hours until the piston rings properly seat.