Engine Oil Change

gtduck

Threads
I purchased a new Big Dog Alpha about a month ago, but since it's turning colder, have only used it a few times. I know I'm supposed to change my oil after 8 hours, however, it's highly unlikely that I'll hit that point before it turns cold enough that grass cutting is no longer necessary (I only have 2.8 hours on it currently). Should I change my oil at the end of the season proactively? Or just wait till early next summer when I hit 8 hours? If I do change it now, should I change it again when I hit 8-10 hours?

thanks,
scott

kraky

Threads
I wouldn't bat an eye at waiting.

gtduck

Threads
Sounds great. Thanks. I happen to feel the same way; I was just looking for someone to agree with me so I didn't think I was crazy.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sounds great. Thanks. I happen to feel the same way; I was just looking for someone to agree with me so I didn't think I was crazy.

If your storing the mower for the winter I'd change it as you say proactively, the oil and filter or at least before you start mowing next season. you have 2.8 now and you'll probably will have more time before the end of the season so yes I'd definitely change the oil.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Agree, oil is cheap engines are not.

Oil doesn't go bad, it's the additives that break down over time. I always do my last oil changes right before I put em into hibernation.

Plus I always dose my 100% gas with Seafoam* to make sure it stays fresh thru winter, & keep tanks full.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The customers who change their oil every season always seem to get the best service life out og their engines.
At the end of the season, the very fine particulates have not sludged out.
Over the winter they will tend to do this.
So te absolute bset time to chge your oil is at the end of the season so you have nothing else then nice clean oil in your sump over winter.