Engine kick backs - Cord Pulls Out Of Your Hand

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Let's see a pic of the whole piece of equipment. And engine.

QuantumLeap

Forum Newbie
Threads
It's most likely your fly will key is sheared causing a timing issue in the engine. Remove the top cover and then the nut that holds the flywheel on you might be able to see it. The key way and the flywheel will not be lined up with the key way on the crankshaft. You may have to remove the flywheel which is going to require putting the nut back on and hitting the crank on the threads with the nut guarding them and prying at the bottom. Be very careful They have specialty items for this called a knock if you would like to purchase it.

sallyphilip

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi!
I have a Briggs & Stratton 5HP that I recently bought second hand. The problem is that the cord is being pulled back really hard quite often when I try to start it. My father is quite good with engines and have disassemble it and we still don't know what the problem is.

The flywheel key is not broken and the 2 vents seems to be good so we are planning on grinding the vents and put everything back. We also thought if the ignition coil has moved so it ignite to early but that didn't seem to be the case.

Does any of you have any ideas of what the problem could be?

Thanks!
Your engine is out of time check the key pin

awkerper

Threads
Hi!
I have a Briggs & Stratton 5HP that I recently bought second hand. The problem is that the cord is being pulled back really hard quite often when I try to start it. My father is quite good with engines and have disassemble it and we still don't know what the problem is.

The flywheel key is not broken and the 2 vents seems to be good so we are planning on grinding the vents and put everything back. We also thought if the ignition coil has moved so it ignite to early but that didn't seem to be the case.

Thanks!
I had the same kickback problem with a Tecumseh engine on a Coleman Powermate generator. The kickback was so violent that it damaged the recoil starter and I had to replace it.

The problem turned out to be the stud (bolt) that the exhaust valve rocker sits on. This bolt had started to work loose, jacking up the rocker and affecting the exhaust valve clearance and timing. Once I tightened it properly and readjusted the valve lash, the engine started normally and ran like a top. I used four thousandths of an inch for the valve lash.

neely29607

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi!

Thanks!
Most common problem is a loose blade. The blade acts as a flywheel which assist the engine in maintaining smooth forward motion. For nonbelievers, next time you have your blade off for sharpening, try to start it with the recoil rope. Be prepared for it to jerk the rope out of your hand and that hurts!^

Rick42wood

Threads
Hi!

Thanks!
I had this problem once and it turned out that the blade was just loose, and a similar problem with a chain saw was solved with a new spark plug and carb adjustment.

Smitty154

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi!

Thanks!
Cylinder is full of oil, hydrolocking, had same problem once, almost tore my fingers off snapping back. Someone stored mower standing up

themikesell

Threads
I have the same problem with a Briggs from a Toro mower. I noticed someone mentioned a question of if there is a blade on or not. I've been trying g to start this with no blade and the kick back almost broke my fingers. I've been in pain e for a week now.

Is not having a blade on really that big of a deal?

Thanks

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
The engine is a briggs 130202. This is a 5 hp horizontal shaft engine. I doubt if it has a loose blade.

troynstan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Any chance the coil was installed upside down? This would cause a timing issue...