engine kick back

lewis1952

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a push mower not sure of the brand but has a 4.0 Briggs. I could always push the priming bulb 3 times and start it on the first pull. Took it to the shop to replace the shut off cable and they cleaned the carburetor( didn't ask them to). Brought it home and pulled the rope to start it, and the engine kicked back so hard it ripped the rope out of my hand. If I pull it easy til I feel it in a certain spot it will start first pull. Any idea what is causing this kick back? The shop gave me a hard time about it so I called someone else and they said it could be a stuck float. Please email me at lewis.hardin48@gmail.com til I figure out how to get messages on this forum. Thanks for your time .

Michael72

Threads
I have a push mower not sure of the brand but has a 4.0 Briggs. I could always push the priming bulb 3 times and start it on the first pull. Took it to the shop to replace the shut off cable and they cleaned the carburetor( didn't ask them to). Brought it home and pulled the rope to start it, and the engine kicked back so hard it ripped the rope out of my hand. If I pull it easy til I feel it in a certain spot it will start first pull. Any idea what is causing this kick back? The shop gave me a hard time about it so I called someone else and they said it could be a stuck float. Please email me at lewis.hardin48@gmail.com til I figure out how to get messages on this forum. Thanks for your time .

Timing is out.... your symptoms is common with a broken flywheel or blade adapter key...also check distance from coil to flywheel....very strange that it came out of a shop with this problem!!... some trickery afoot!!! :thumbdown:....if you hit a tree stump or rock etc it will break those little keys....flywheel will then be out of position and cause that kick back.

Last edited: