Engine just had new rings etc, smokes alittle when engine turned off

grashoper

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Engine just had new rings etc, smokes alittle when engine turned off
B&S 5hp Quantum side valve engine just had a hone, gasket / seals, new rings, filter and plug but still smokes. Do the rings need to bed in and the smoke eventually cease?
Engine ~10 yo and started to smoke so striped it down for a good clean. Bore looked fine, no scoring or burn so did a 5 minute hone , 10 minute valve grind and reassembled. Now it takes 10x more pulls to get it going as well as the puffing. Is this normal setting period or what? would love to know. thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes
May take a while
At the factory rings are fitted dry to make them bed in quickly .

grashoper

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes
May take a while
At the factory rings are fitted dry to make them bed in quickly .
thanks. OK, will mow and keep an I on it. Done a car engine but you never get to see whats happening back there. I'm just glad it's not a battery mower, smoke = "KABOOOM"!

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
thanks. OK, will mow and keep an I on it. Done a car engine but you never get to see whats happening back there. I'm just glad it's not a battery mower, smoke = "KABOOOM"!
I guess my question is this. If you went to the trouble of removing engine, separating the crankcase cover, etc., why would you only spend 15 minutes honing and grinding valves? It takes me hours to rebuild an engine correctly and completely.

Ocean909

Threads
I guess my question is this. If you went to the trouble of removing engine, separating the crankcase cover, etc., why would you only spend 15 minutes honing and grinding valves? It takes me hours to rebuild an engine correctly and completely.
I just did something similar three seasons ago on a 4hp mower that I've had since the 80's and here's why.
The mower was smoking enough that it was noticeable so I did a quick hone and replaced the rings with some new old stock.
I don't have to worry about a customer screaming at me if I didn't do the job correctly and completely as I don't do this for money. I think I spent two relaxing hours and around $30 for the rings and gaskets. I've beat the snot out of it for three seasons and it still doesn't smoke, so I'm happy.

grashoper

Forum Newbie
Threads
yeah this is not the 25hp twin Kohler I also have on the bench ready to be gutted, just a BS 5hp push mower. This one is the warm up for the BIG overhaul. This side valve engine is a lego build compared.