Engine dies when I engage the blades???

Hardluck

Threads
I got the pto, ignition switch cover plate off, now how do I check the switch . If continuity is OK then what?
Just to clear the ptk does engage the blades so that sho5prove that it is ok, right? Which blades on the pto switch can I jumper to test prove the ground wires?

Hardluck

Threads
I am not getting much help here now. Should I start a new thread or what?

BADBOY Lightning 2009. about 30 hours on the mower.
Here is my latest updates:
Seat switch, PTO, ignition switch and all 4 relays removed cleaned and tested. All good and working.
Seat switch tested ...good. (you can even hear it clicking when engaged and disengaged)
PTO switch tested .. good (you can even hear it clicking when engaged and disengaged)

Mower started and ran several times for short intervals. finally got it running for a couple minutes never good enough to engage the PTO , mostly had to have the choke full or half to keep it running. Only ran about 1/2 or 2/3 speed. Finally would not start until it sat with the ignition on (you can hear what seems to be the fuel pump running) for a minute or so. Then it would start and run poorly again. never good enough to even get it put of the garage to be able to have room to work it very well.
I looked at the fuel filter but of course you can't tell anything by looking. I am trying to locate the fuel shut of valve so that I can change the fuel filter but can not find one. Can't find one in the manual either (really poor manual).
Called Badboy and emailed them again and never get any replies.

Any and all advise or comments are appreciated, I am mid 70 years old and limited in my physical (and probably mental) abilities) but am really needing to get this thing running. Thanks again.

Bertrrr

Threads
If a safety was giving you problems the machine wouldn't even turn over , click or anything else so you don't have a safety switch problem in my opinion,
The PTO switch needs 12 volts on one of the wires , use a test light and hook it up to ground and touch off on each terminal of the switch with the Key on. Which ever one makes your light come on will be your power lead, now engage your PTO with the key on and see which other terminal makes your light come on, follow that wire to the PTO and make sure it's not shorted to ground , this will give you some direction.

Bertrrr

Threads
You're not going to get any help from Bad boy, from your description you have a carburator problem or fuel problem , if it will only run while choked , it's starving for fuel, change out your fuel filter and pull the line off at the fuel pump and see if it's flowing freely. Most machines do not have electric fuel pumps , take a few pics and attach so the smart guys can look at it.

Hardluck

Threads
Not really anything to take pictures of except a mower.
I wondered about the electrical pump but there is a slight sound of something running downby the engine. I am trying to find out how to turn the fuel off in order to change the filter.
I do t want to drain over 5 gallons if gas in a garage.

Last edited:

Bertrrr

Threads
Most don't have shut off valves , Just pull the supply line and stick a plug of some sort in it , best to get an in line valve and install it at this point for later. Have it ready with hose clamps and you should be good to go

Hardluck

Threads
Thank you, I try to find a gas shutoff valve. Is walmart a good place to get one?

Bertrrr

Threads
Auto parts will have a " small engine" area and will have something for you