Engine cuts out between 1/2 and 1/4 tank

BrianSki

Threads
Just an idea. My Father in law had a very similar problem. Seems like Sears changed the brass mesh fuel filter with a paper one. It just would not move enough fuel through the paper one. (with a half tank or less.) I would change the fuel filter with the brass mesh one. Maybe pull the carb and look into the fuel inlet. Blow with carb cleaner backwards up the seat. You may have a tiny piece of rubber hose blocking the flow. Full tank may have enough pressure to blow past. Until the fuel drops a bit.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
If the fuel line comes out the top of the tank, I suspect the fuel line inside the tank has a hole in it.

Robj

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks. I haven’t had time to look at it yet. Hopefully next weekend.

bourno

Forum Newbie
Threads
Same thing with my 15 year old LT2000. I did the fuel filter, was fine. Thought the carburetor and installed a new one, just the other day. Still same thing for 1/2 tank when used to run till empty.

Not sure what the hose line from the front to the air box does. Assume just a breather/vent.

Is a mystery for myself and Google searched a bit as well. Was hoping the solenoid or such. I haven't check the red wire to the carburetor yet. Sounds like a fuel shut-off, I may disconnect and see would still run or not.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Any update on the issue? I'm having the same issue with mine.
See post # 4 do the test then come back with a new thread ( New Topic button )
Make sure you list the make & model of your mower off the ID Tag and the same for the engine would not hurt either

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Same thing with my 15 year old LT2000. I did the fuel filter, was fine. Thought the carburetor and installed a new one, just the other day. Still same thing for 1/2 tank when used to run till empty.

Not sure what the hose line from the front to the air box does. Assume just a breather/vent.

Is a mystery for myself and Google searched a bit as well. Was hoping the solenoid or such. I haven't check the red wire to the carburetor yet. Sounds like a fuel shut-off, I may disconnect and see would still run or not.
Not a mystery in any way shape or form
Just a problem to be diagnosed in place of being guessed about
See post # 4 do the test then come back with a new thread ( New Topic button )
Make sure you list the make & model of your mower off the ID Tag and the same for the engine would not hurt either

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I’m going to replace the fuel lines and the vent line and filter and we’ll see where it goes from there. I get good gravity flow of fuel through the lines and the filter when disconnecting the fuel line from the nipple on the carb but if the inside of the lines are bad perhaps something is moving around in there. Perhaps the vent fitting on top of the tank where the vapor recovery line is attached is plugged.
I’m still baffled as to why I can have half a tank of fuel and it won’t start. I take the cap off and look down in the tank and see it’s clean in the bottom by the outlet opening, crank the engine again and it still won’t start. I fill the tank and it fires right up. We have a lot of property to mow before fire season so it’s not just s one time fluke. It’s been happening with every fill up. It seems clearly that it’s a gravity thing but then at half a tank I have great flow with the fuel line disconnected at the carb. It’s got me scratching my head.
Fill the tank to the top. Drain into a 5 gal bucket. Watch the flow. You can pour it back in through a paint strainer.