Engine cut out

Mojoboots

Threads
Mower was running, quit suddenly running and started smoking from this part. ( see photo) IMG_2405.jpegIMG_2405.jpegIMG_2405.jpegTurned key to off and pulled the plug out of this part whatever it is and it quit smoking. Haven’t try to start it in fear of making it worse. What am I dealing with here? Thanks in advance, I’m not mechanical at all! I change air filter and engine oil regularly however.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You’ve disconnected the fuel solenoid which shuts off the fuel when you shut down the engine. Will not start unless you reconnect it. Before doing anything check your oil level and see if it is over the full mark and smells like fuel. If it does the float needle in the carb is sticking in the open position. What color is the smoke? Report back.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You’ve disconnected the fuel solenoid which shuts off the fuel when you shut down the engine. Will not start unless you reconnect it. Before doing anything check your oil level and see if it is over the full mark and smells like fuel. If it does the float needle in the carb is sticking in the open position. What color is the smoke? Report back.
I think the smoke he was referring to was the electrical smoke from the shorted solenoid/connector.

Seems like that is the 3rd or 4th solenoid I have heard about or encountered this year.

Mojoboots

Threads
The engine oil level is below the fill mark but within normal range.Cannot detect fuel smell from oil reservoir. Smoke was black. The plastic white tab with the black and grey wires was burnt had black residue on it and had started to melt. I pulled it as it was glowing red.

Mojoboots

Threads
The engine oil level is below the fill mark but within normal range.Cannot detect fuel smell from oil reservoir. Smoke was black. The plastic white tab with the black and grey wires was burnt had black residue on it and had started to melt. I pulled it as it was glowing red.

Mojoboots

Threads
I think the smoke he was referring to was the electrical smoke from the shorted solenoid/connector.

Seems like that is the 3rd or 4th solenoid I have heard about or encountered this year.
yes, it was smoking from the plug, then starting to glow red at the plug blackening and melting it…is this something I can replace myself?

Mojoboots

Threads
Are solenoid problems serious? is this something I can repair?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
They are easy to replace, but I have my doubts that it is the cause of your problem without testing it first. I would check the wires going to the solenoid first, looking for a spot where the insulation is rubbed through.

Mojoboots

Threads
They are easy to replace, but I have my doubts that it is the cause of your problem without testing it first. I would check the wires going to the solenoid first, looking for a spot where the insulation is rubbed through.
Ok thanks!

Mojoboots

Threads
Ok thanks!
Traced wires and they look good throughout their lengths…only damage I can see is where they terminate in the plug, which is burned and melted. Perhaps trying to replace the wiring first before addressing the solonoid?