electronic clutch

burleyman683

Forum Newbie
Threads
i have a simplicity citation zero turn mower with a 23hp van guard. the problem i have is that the pump drive belt went out and ripped the wires out of the electronic clutch. was wondering if it could be repaired or do i have to spend around $500 for a new clutch. havent pulled the clutch off yet. all i have done is took a mirror and flash light and saw the wires broke off flush, not pulled from inside the clutch. not real sure how to even get the clutch off. would be grateful for any info. thank you

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Welcome to LMF....

You can believe I would make a way to rewire that clutch...

Remove it so you can work on it ... :smile:KennyV

burleyman683

Forum Newbie
Threads
well, I got the pto out. But cant figure out how to disassemble the dern thing. Pulled the retaining ring out. Loosened and took off the three spring loaded adjustment nuts. And thats as far as I got. Wondering if I have to press out the center or pull the belt pully or both. Cant seem to get inside to maybe solder the wires back together

Black Bart

Threads
well, I got the pto out. But cant figure out how to disassemble the dern thing. Pulled the retaining ring out. Loosened and took off the three spring loaded adjustment nuts. And thats as far as I got. Wondering if I have to press out the center or pull the belt pully or both. Cant seem to get inside to maybe solder the wires back together

If all else fails you can take it to a Simplicity dealer and ask them to wire it for you then you can put it back on.:biggrin:

burleyman683

Forum Newbie
Threads
well gee thanks black bart. I never thought of that. Youve been a world of help. Just thought this was a place to sharpen my mechanical skills not pay someone else to do it. unless I have to.

blueadler

Forum Newbie
Threads
short version .... what was your procedure for removing the clutch? did you need a gear puller? was it "frozen on"?

hey there .... new member I could use some help with the same issue .... Simplicity Citation - 48" - Vanguard 21HP. Each of the last two years I've had to repair the clutch wire. Last week the pump belt partially shredded and broke the wires again. This time the break is too close to the clutch to repair without removing. Tried taking the bolt out but the whole shaft assembly moves .... soo ... I figure I have to get hold of the large hex nut from the top side of the engine. But how do you remove the finger shredding mesh guard. Do you have to take off the entiree metal "shroud" or am I missing something .... or both?

thanks

burleyman683

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi blue. Air impact wrench. the clutch fell off. After I dug up enough wire to be able to soulder a new wire. I JB Welded the wires to the cluch. Be sure to clean area very well with sand paper cause JB Weld does not like grease at all.

blueadler

Forum Newbie
Threads
thanks ... i managed to get it working with a couple of pieces of shrink tube,solder, and luck ... without removing clutch. finished mowing 6 acres and, while driving to shed the bearing on the deck roller siezed and the steel rod broke ... parts came in this morning from PartsTree (luv them folks) ... but I still like the Citation mower great piece of equipment.

burleyman683

Forum Newbie
Threads
Glad to hear you got it figured out. Thats a lot of grass to get caught up on.