Elec problem on 26 hp garden tractor

jamdd2005

Forum Newbie
I have a gt 5600 craftsman garden tractor. I had to put it on the charger the other day and it started right up. I turned it off to disconnect the charger and went to start it again and I only get a click in the ignition relay. Has anyone experienced this before? Also, the flywheel will not spin freely by hand. Possible motor seize? The tractor is only 4 years old and has had all general maintenance done in a timely manner. Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
 
Sounds like you might have gas in the oil. Carb might have been half froze when you ran it. Remove all spark plugs and see if you turn the flywheel by hand. Also pull the dipstick and smell it to determine there's gas in the oil.
 
The starter works OK with the charger on the battery and the starter doesn't work when you remove the charger?? If this is so I would start by checking the battery. If the battery is good do what Dave is saying.
 
Sounds like a weak battery, or solenoid. The 26 hp has enough compression that it wont spin real easy by hand.
 
Pulled plug and still the same problem. I don't detect any fuel in the oil. I am considering replacing the relay/solenoid as a first, minor expense, problem solver. Any thoughts on this?? Could one or both of these have been fried while jumping it?
 
Pulled plug and still the same problem. I don't detect any fuel in the oil. I am considering replacing the relay/solenoid as a first, minor expense, problem solver. Any thoughts on this?? Could one or both of these have been fried while jumping it?

Whats happens if you jump the starter directly with jumper cables from different battery besides the one in the mower? Might have fried the starter when jumping it.
 
Pulled plug and still the same problem. I don't detect any fuel in the oil. I am considering replacing the relay/solenoid as a first, minor expense, problem solver. Any thoughts on this?? Could one or both of these have been fried while jumping it?

Yes very good idea. Don't test anything and start replacing parts. problem solved. You have a electrical problem so find it, no one on a forum can do it for you. Start with a wiring diagram and volt meter or test light.
 
Willing to bet it is a bad battery. Charge the battery, take a voltage reading, if it is 12+ volts start the engine, run for 10 minutes, let sit for 10 minutes, try starting again. If it does not start measure battery voltage again. If less than 12 volts, replace battery.
 
Just buy a new tractor. OMG.

If it starts with jumper cables then first thing to look at would be THE BATTERY.
Jump start it and use a volt meter and see how many volts you have at the battery while the engine is RUNNING.
If you have more than 14 volts then you know it is charging. So take the battery and get it load tested.
 
Back
Top