Echo trimmer string always running back into head

juntjoo

Threads
Why do these pull the string in so often making me have to take it apart and re-insert the string all over again? I push to let it out til it has to cut itself on the blade, perfect length then after some use one or both sides pull the string back in through the holes. Or what am I doing wrong?20240315_141934.jpg

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
One thing that head is worn out. Also make you have sure the internal spool winding the right way. It can be flipped over on the Speed Feed heads and would wind backwards.

Its Me

Threads
that thing has been dead for a while, looks like he has spent more time eating cement than eating grass and another thing, run the machine wide open this extends the trimmer string in the straightest position, that way the end of the string is cutting not the curved part, if the line glues itself together that means you are letting it get to short, heat transfer with glue them, you will notice this when you take the tap lid off and see the line stuck together.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
that thing has been dead for a while, looks like he has spent more time eating cement than eating grass and another thing, run the machine wide open this extends the trimmer string in the straightest position, that way the end of the string is cutting not the curved part, if the line glues itself together that means you are letting it get to short, heat transfer with glue them, you will notice this when you take the tap lid off and see the line stuck together.
Replace tap button, use correct size line, .080” or .095”, take your time winding the line on correctly, try not to tap the trimmer head on concrete too much, and make sure the line is not too old. You can revive old trimmer line by placing it hot water and then installing.

GearHead36

Threads
make you have sure the internal spool winding the right way. It can be flipped over on the Speed Feed heads and would wind backwards.
^ This. I had this problem once, and it took me a while, but I finally figured out that the spool was on backwards. I wasn't the one who flipped it, so it took me a while to notice it. At that point, I didn't even know that it COULD be flipped. I guess this is so that the same spool can be used on straight and curved shaft trimmers.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Most of the Speed Feed head are LH and RH with at least a few exceptions being the large 500 heads.

Here is the basic instructions.

Speed Feed 400 LH/RH instructions

Lawn Addict
Threads
That's it, one part can be used for curved shaft & straight, by just flipping the inner part.

juntjoo

Threads
One thing that head is worn out. Also make you have sure the internal spool winding the right way. It can be flipped over on the Speed Feed heads and would wind backwards.
No, if you put it in backwards, when it runs it just all falls out. Gotta get this running first now though as it suddenly stopped running ...

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Are you sure it is feeding in ?
Line goes hard with age ( should be kept under water )
If you do not keep feeding it out then it snaps off at the eyelet