Echo SRM2601

rwsinky

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the subject string trimmer and it started to quit on me after running for about 10 minutes. If I let it sit for 5 minutes or so it would start right up and do the same routine again. I ordered and received a carburetor kit and installed it. All hoses and air cleaner were included. Got it together and it started right up. Cannot get it to idle and it is once again quiting on me. Kit also had a new spark plug. I cannot figure out what is causing the stopping. Any ideas before I toss it?
Thanks,
Russ

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have the subject string trimmer and it started to quit on me after running for about 10 minutes. If I let it sit for 5 minutes or so it would start right up and do the same routine again. I ordered and received a carburetor kit and installed it. All hoses and air cleaner were included. Got it together and it started right up. Cannot get it to idle and it is once again quiting on me. Kit also had a new spark plug. I cannot figure out what is causing the stopping. Any ideas before I toss it?
Thanks,
Russ

Stopping after about 10 minutes is likely to be a faulty tank cap or tank vent.
The tank pressurizes to around 7-10psi.
Any more and it floods the carb and less and the engine starves.
As fuel is used, air has to get in and replace it or you get a vacuum lock.

Did you check the carb before you refitted it by submersing it is a jar of water and pressurizing it ?

rwsinky

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the replies guys! No, I do not use the Echo oil and I have no way to test the carb in water.I will check out the cap and vent though. It has been a great unit for a lot of years and I hate losing it.
Thanks again!
Russ

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Echo is a brand that is worthwhile to have repaired.
When I first started I ripped into carbs left right & centre because all of the information around showed people ripping up carbs.
Then I finally learned how to do things right.You start with the fuel tank, cap & filters
Then the hoses.
A friend showed me the blow through the carb with compressed air trick to see if it is working.
Now that I do the diagnosis properly about 1 in 10 carbs get pulled apart.
Usually if the engine starts the carb is fine

rwsinky

Forum Newbie
Threads
Put a new cap and gasket on fuel tank. Not much change. It will start right up and run a minute or two at wide open throttle then die. Any attempt to lower speed or even if the unit is moved about - it will stall. To me it seems starved for fuel. The kit was from Amazon - Butom I think.
About ready to throw the thing away.
Russ

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Don't know about after market kits
I try only to fit kits from Walbro or Combustion Technology Services ( who supply Walbro with a lot of their parts )

The rotary valve carbs are very reliable and only have one jet which makes them easy to service.
Walbro have a service manual for this carb on their web site.
It is sort of hidden with the link in the bottom right hand corner.

They also have a video tutorial for the rotary valve carbs.
They are a lot simpiler than the other carbs and do not have all the check valves that get stuck.
Did the kit have a new duck bill to go under the purge bulb ?
Did the kit have a new main jet & O ring ?

I am assuming you fitted a new fuel filter in the tank.

rwsinky

Forum Newbie
Threads
The kit had the carb all assembled and included new fuel and air lines. It did have a new fuel filter. I will check out the suppliers you suggested. The Echo website wanted $80 + for a new carb.
Thanks for the reply.
Russ