Export thread

Echo SRM-225 problem

J

jp1961

I just purchased an Echo SRM-225 string trimmer from Home Depot two weeks ago. The choke lever was REALLY hard to move to closed. After removing the air filter cover, I found the black plastic choke flap was not clearing the metal piece the air filter bolt threads in to. I added two thin flat washer to the metal bridge, which gave the flap enough clearance to close. Not sure if mine was dropped and bent, or all in this batch have this problem. Sorry, can't upload an image.

Jeff

Snapperfreak

Snapperfreak

Having only had it two weeks I'd exchange it. Even if the washers fix the problem u spent good money on that machine and it should be perfect.

Ric

Ric

I agree with Snapperfreak, I'd take it back and get my money back and go buy one from your local dealership so if you should have problems in the future you can have the dealerships support.

S

SeniorCitizen

added two thin flat washer to the metal bridge

take washers back out and then take back if it reverts to its old habits.

B

Bod

I agree with Snapperfreak, I'd take it back and get my money back and go buy one from your local dealership so if you should have problems in the future you can have the dealerships support.
Strongly agree!! Do not buy power equipment from anywhere other than a servicing dealer. Pay the extra $7.50 cents or ten bucks. You will get a machine in your hands, ready to go to work and you will be knowlegable on how to start/ use it. Then you can walk into the joint anytime after that and talk to a person that knows you and the machine.
When I owned a lawn care dealership, I would rewind trimmer heads for free for all my customers that brought their machine from me. My customers did not have to mix their own gas. I kept it on hand premixed and would fill their gas cans for cost. If a machine just needed a slight carb adjustment or the carb bowl drained to get it to run, 2 minutes, no charge. Big smile on my customers face. Not so much cause of the no charge, but cause he could go home and take care of his property today when he planned on doing it.

jekjr

jekjr

We always buy from a LOCAL dealer. It might cost a little more to start with but always remember. The cheapest price is not always the best price. I have had a dealer get me running numerous times where buying from a big box store I did not have equal results.

exotion

exotion

Don't screw in the filter cover so tight..........

T

theodore2

I'm having the very same problem with my Echo SRM-225 that I've used for 6years running now. Was working perfectly just a week ago. Today, choke lever cannot move all the way up. When I dismantled, I found that I would have to loosen the bolts holding the carb to the motor in order for the choke flap to move into place. That's ridiculous to keep bolts so loose. I've searched on internet and found at least one other person with similar problem posted, but no solutions listed to-date.
Anyone else have this problem and know how to solve ?
Advice greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Theodore.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

I'm having the very same problem with my Echo SRM-225 that I've used for 6years running now. Was working perfectly just a week ago. Today, choke lever cannot move all the way up. When I dismantled, I found that I would have to loosen the bolts holding the carb to the motor in order for the choke flap to move into place. That's ridiculous to keep bolts so loose. I've searched on internet and found at least one other person with similar problem posted, but no solutions listed to-date.
Anyone else have this problem and know how to solve ?
Advice greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Theodore.

So you have the slider choke choke on yours instead of the butterfly round type inside of the carb itself ???? I didn't look your model up so I am asking ....

Those have a special washer on them and it might be worn out or it's just real dirty and needs a good cleaning ............

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

A

(Account Closed)

All the SRMs I've encountered have the "slide choke cover" built into the inner cover.

This is a parts pic of my customers SRM-225 (an older model) I worked on(he has several):

Part #6 IS the entire choke assembly, nothing to take apart.
As I re-call, isn't the choke lever / plate on a separate "rivet" and not to the carb mounting bolts (on YOUR machine)?
(I actually have a spare as described above).

Can you post your serial # as there have been some changes over time?

The correct parts diagram would show any changes. That cover is pretty cheap ($ wise).

T

theodore2

Hi.
model = SRM-225
SN = S039126662268

From the parts diagram (attached image), the choke lever (which is an integral part of #6 "Case Assy, Air Filter") gets stuck on #5 ("Plate, Prevent"), whenever I tighten the two torx bolts. This getting stuck issue happened spontaneously, as far as I can tell. I never opened/cleaned this before. That said, I certainly opened now and there was nothing out of place. It was all very clean. Nothing broken or deteriorated.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

intake.jpg

A

(Account Closed)

Hi.
model = SRM-225
SN = S039126662268

From the parts diagram (attached image), the choke lever (which is an integral part of #6 "Case Assy, Air Filter") gets stuck on #5 ("Plate, Prevent"), whenever I tighten the two torx bolts. This getting stuck issue happened spontaneously, as far as I can tell. I never opened/cleaned this before. That said, I certainly opened now and there was nothing out of place. It was all very clean. Nothing broken or deteriorated.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

View attachment 42124

I literally have a spare, brand new, part #6, in my hand as I type (exact same part #).

As the actual choke "flap" and lever are both recessed (each side) in part #6 it should not bind on anything.

The only thing that could be the issue is part #5 installed, facing "inwards", up against the choke flap.

Can you confirm that part #5 "sticks outwards"?

The only potential thing, can be the actual lever(near the carb). Is that touching the carb at all? It should not.

If none of the above pans out, remove the carb bolts and place #6 up against the carb. Check for any binding, there should be none. Again, if that clears everything, put part #5 up against #6 (just by hand), FACING OUTWARD. If part#5 IS INWARD, IT WILL BIND up..

I'm assuming part #5 is NOT bent inwards.

My customer goes thru these often and within a month I had to replace one (lever broke off). I bought an extra for later use.

I hadn't seen a broken part #6 however, inspect closely as something (if all the above pans out) is broke in part #6 or bent in #5. Worst case scenario, replace both as their fairly cheap and easy to install.

T

theodore2

I literally have a spare, brand new, part #6, in my hand as I type (exact same part #).

As the actual choke "flap" and lever are both recessed (each side) in part #6 it should not bind on anything.
The only thing that could be the issue is part #5 installed, facing "inwards", up against the choke flap.

Hi! I've made a short video to show the problem I'm having with this part. Please take a look and tell me if anything looks wrong?
Many thanks!

A

(Account Closed)

Hi! I've made a short video to show the problem I'm having with this part. Please take a look and tell me if anything looks wrong?
Many thanks!

Pic's are worth a thousand words!! Video, even more!!

Just what I thought.

Flip that metal piece (with the two long bolts) OVER, then it'll clear. The "concave" should be facing outwards.

In post #10, (the picture I posted), place part #5 as it is in the diagram.

As it IS, the air cleaner likely wouldn't bolt up as the nut (on the metal piece) is INWARDS, NOT outwards.
Flip it over and everything will assemble correctly..

***Make sure the carb to block gasket is installed correctly. That gasket is very easy to slip downwards and cause a vacuum leak..**

Please post back before taking off trimming!

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Pic's are worth a thousand words!! Video, even more!!

Just what I thought.

Flip that metal piece (with the two long bolts) OVER, then it'll clear. The "concave" should be facing outwards.

In post #10, (the picture I posted), place part #5 as it is in the diagram.

As it IS, the air cleaner likely wouldn't bolt up as the nut (on the metal piece) is INWARDS, NOT outwards.
Flip it over and everything will assemble correctly..

***Make sure the carb to block gasket is installed correctly. That gasket is very easy to slip downwards and cause a vacuum leak..**

Please post back before taking off trimming!

I would rather a video myself as long as it's a well made one like this one....... Man we are flooding over here..... The Bayou near my house is at flood stages and roads are closing every where,,,,,, If school wouldn't be out for the holidays they would be shut down as well......

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!

A

(Account Closed)

I would rather a video myself as long as it's a well made one like this one....... Man we are flooding over here..... The Bayou near my house is at flood stages and roads are closing every where,,,,,, If school wouldn't be out for the holidays they would be shut down as well......

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!

In this case, either / or was fine, simple fix anyway..

It's dry season down here, we'll take some of your water!

A

(Account Closed)

Any updates Op?

T

theodore2

Hi Folks.
So, I turned it around, but still doesn't work when i tighten the torx bolts. And, of course, they need to be tight.
Here's a video.
https://youtu.be/TmaoeTilfSE

I also got on live chat with Echo on Friday. They said:
Echo: The prevent plate should be flat. It looks like yours is bent.
Me: Is the prevent plate assembled in the appropriate direction and orientation?
Echo: Yes.
Echo: Yours has a curve to it. If you would like, I can email you a picture of what the plate should look like.​

And they sent this photo:
http://echo-usa.custhelp.com/ci/inlineImage/get/20165/05407364fcc49cc4b70a5ec3a6801272

If Echo is right, it is a crazy mystery on how mine got to be so bent/curved. I've ordered a new one and will install when it gets here.
As usual, any input/advice is greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Theodore.

A

(Account Closed)

Very odd...

But yes, the new one is flat and should clear the choke lever/plate...

A

(Account Closed)

Get your part yet?

B

bertsmobile1

Hi Folks.
So, I turned it around, but still doesn't work when i tighten the torx bolts. And, of course, they need to be tight.
Here's a video.
https://youtu.be/TmaoeTilfSE

I also got on live chat with Echo on Friday. They said:
Echo: The prevent plate should be flat. It looks like yours is bent.
Me: Is the prevent plate assembled in the appropriate direction and orientation?
Echo: Yes.
Echo: Yours has a curve to it. If you would like, I can email you a picture of what the plate should look like.​

And they sent this photo:
http://echo-usa.custhelp.com/ci/inlineImage/get/20165/05407364fcc49cc4b70a5ec3a6801272

If Echo is right, it is a crazy mystery on how mine got to be so bent/curved. I've ordered a new one and will install when it gets here.
As usual, any input/advice is greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Theodore.

If you are talking about the plate that has the screw hole for the cover in it as per the photo then bending will be from overtightening and concavity will be from being bashed into something.

T

theodore2

If you are talking about the plate that has the screw hole for the cover in it as per the photo then bending will be from overtightening and concavity will be from being bashed into something.

New part arrived in mail on Saturday. Photo attached is comparison between the two. So, you're saying that I may have overtightened the cover , and I may have bashed it into something. I'm truly shocked. No joke. I really have -NO IDEA- how the old part got bent so out of shape. It's very possible I overtightened the plastic cover, but I have zero recollection of hitting something, and I'm the only one who uses this tool. Maybe... it fell on the ground and I didn't register that as a potential impact that damaged something?! But, the bottom line is that it was bent so badly that it was, obviously, non-functional.
I installed the new one and the entire assembly works perfectly (see photos)!!
Thank you all so much for the guidance. Case closed.
IMG_7062.jpgImg_7060.jpgIMG_7063.jpg

A

(Account Closed)

Congrates!

Re-reading your first post, the machine was new to you from HD.

I'd bet someone yanked some parts on it, HD re-packed after a return possibly, someone put the wrong part on it...

Looking closer at the curved, old part, I have never seen one with that curve in an SRM, (or any other Echos).

Anyway, enjoy!!