Echo Speed Feed 400 malfunctioning when trimmer is turned upside down

bstanart

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Echo Speed Feed 400 malfunctioning when trimmer is turned upside down
Anyone else having trouble with your speed feed when you're edging with your trimmer turned upside down? It very quickly eats up the line and the line gets pulled up in the speed feed causing me to take it apart. I have figured out that I can do a run of about 5-6 feet, but then I must turn it over and bump it to release more line. If I don't do this it will completely pull the line all the up where you can't retrieve it anymore requiring you stop what you are doing and take it apart and reinstall the string.

Is this a common known problem? I am no expert on this stuff and my first post here.

Thanks!

Brian S

trekgod3

Threads
No issues running mine on its side for edging . Maybe try flipping it the other way?

Lawn Addict
Threads
No problems with mine on it's side either. I just used it yesterday doing a lot of edging as well.

If it was NOT advancing line using it normally, I would think you might have the "stepped ring" inside up side down, cause that will reverse the feed.

neetan

Threads
I use to have an issue, till I saw on another web site where the guy uses WD40 on the trimmer line and the head. I have been using that trick since the Echo 1501 and no problems. Good luck I hope it helps. Cheers :thumbsup:

jp1961

Threads
Hello,

Make sure the inner spool isn't upside-down. I had tons of issues with mine until I watched a YouTube vid and discovered I had it 180 degree's wrong.

It's also possible the head is worn out and needs replacing.

Regards

Jeff

Lawn Addict
Threads
No problems with mine on it's side either. I just used it yesterday doing a lot of edging as well.

If it was NOT advancing line using it normally, I would think you might have the "stepped ring" inside up side down, cause that will reverse the feed.

Yep......