Echo 2620 PTO bearings failing

Sean2202

Threads
Greetings,

Has anyone else had PTO bearing failures with newer Echo 2620 trimmers?

We have an SRM 2620, SRM2620T, and 2 PAS 2620 that we run here with some older grey echo trimmers. The newer 2620 models seem to have PTO bearing failures very quickly. Our trimmers get used commercially and are used in all outside conditions. I have sent some units back to the dealer to be repaired as they were under warranty. I started repairing them myself so I didnt have to wait for the dealer. What I have found is that the PTO bearings are Echo part number 9406106001 about $6.60. These are a 6001RS sealed bearings (2). The bearings from the factory are missing the seals on one side which is the inner side in the housing. There is also very little grease on the new bearings. I am assuming that water gets into the housing then the bearings start to get rusted and seize. The last time I replaced them on a unit I removed the one seal on the old bearings and used it on the new bearings and greased the new bearings with a high-quality grease. I will see how they hold up with seals on both sides now. I am going to order some 6001RS bearings to have on hand with seals on both sides if they fail on another unit again. For reference I have only replaced PTO bearings on the grey Echos once. The new 2620 echos have had four failures within the first 2 years here.

Thanks for any replies and feedback.
Sean

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Contact Echo above by phone or email with model & serial #'s from each trimmer. Fully explain bearing failure issue with little grease from factory & what you have done to remedy problem. Choose your words carefully & see if they will reimburse your parts for now, just a suggestion. thanks Mark

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You do realize that those gearheads does require regular re-greasing? That why there a grease plug. Without grease bearings will fail fast as they get quite hot in operation. Even the drive shafts has to be re-lubed every so often.

Sean2202

Threads
You do realize that those gearheads does require regular re-greasing? That why there a grease plug. Without grease bearings will fail fast as they get quite hot in operation. Even the drive shafts has to be re-lubed every so often.
Yes sir. I do all of the above. However the problem is not the gearhead. It is the PTO bearings in the fan case. Item #9 in the photo. They cannot be greased without removing them. The PTO bearings come from the factory missing one seal with very little grease so once water gets in it's only a mater of time before they seize.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Thank for where and what you was calling the PTO. Definitely not where I was thinking they were.

Then someone is screwing up as those are suppose to be 2RS bearings. It more like someone is trying to reduce inventory levels. And yes I would still pop the seals, cleaned, repack with good grease, and replace the seals before I install them. Here is where I would order 6001-2RS bearings from my bearing supplier which why I normally stock 2RS version but am currently out as I sold the 10 last week.

Sean2202

Threads
Thank for where and what you was calling the PTO. Definitely not where I was thinking they were.

Then someone is screwing up as those are suppose to be 2RS bearings. It more like someone is trying to reduce inventory levels. And yes I would still pop the seals, cleaned, repack with good grease, and replace the seals before I install them. Here is where I would order 6001-2RS bearings from my bearing supplier which why I normally stock 2RS version but am currently out as I sold the 10 last week.
Yes, thank you for your reply. Going to order some of the 6001-2rs bearings from my supplier instead for the future. My bearing supplier just confirmed they only sell the ones with shields or seals anyway so good to go.

I will be contacting Echo thank you. Surely, I am not the only one this is happening to.

Sean2202

Threads
Asked my local Echo dealer about if he has seen many bearing failures. He checked with his Echo representative about the bearings, and this was the representative's response:

It is true that the bearings are only sealed on one side but when they are installed they are to be installed with the sides that are not sealed facing each other. This will ensure that the bearings are sealed from the elements. Failures of this type have not been an issue that we have seen. In check warranty history on the SRM-2620 there have only been 9 warranty claims (18 if I include the SRM-2620T models) filed since 2017 with the last one being over 2 years ago. Even usage on the part isn’t excessive considering the number of units that we sell and the number of years that they have been around.

Is there any chance that they use pressure washers to clean these units off? If so, the water pressure could be overcoming the seal. Just a thought.