Eccentric Carb Adjusting Tool

Butch1957

Threads
Any idea where I can purchase one ? Some carbs have the off-set center notch on the adjustment needle. Seems no other way to turn the in or out without this tool

Thanks for any input.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Stens, Rotary , Oregon & Prime Line all do sets of carb adjusting tools
Ebay is full of cheap Chinese sets.
YOur local Echo shop can not sell you one or he gets fined by the EPA.
Find some intelligence in that ?
The one you are looking for is called the "D" type & comes in 2 sizes.

AVB

Threads
With the notched comment it may be the Pac Man version.

Here is some of the different 2 cycle carburetor adjusting tools. I have not ran into the star or pin yet but they are out there.
2 Cycle carb tools.png

Last edited:

AVB

Threads
That something I just don't understand about the EPA they rather these carburetors polluting because if the will start settings instead of having a qualified tech to fine tune the carburetor. Anyway the Chinese are selling them to the US public.

I went through the same hassle of just trying to get the 21 tooth spline years ago. I finally found an online member of another forum that knew I was a tech in the business of repairs and he sold me one. Then few months later no one could even get them even if they were a dealer. Things have changed since those days but many local dealers still will sell them to even other non dealer shops as they want all the business for themselves. That why I order mine out China now and even a complete or nearly complete set for the same money as I first paid for one tool.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
That something I just don't understand about the EPA they rather these carburetors polluting because if the will start settings instead of having a qualified tech to fine tune the carburetor. Anyway the Chinese are selling them to the US public.

I went through the same hassle of just trying to get the 21 tooth spline years ago. I finally found an online member of another forum that knew I was a tech in the business of repairs and he sold me one. Then few months later no one could even get them even if they were a dealer. Things have changed since those days but many local dealers still will sell them to even other non dealer shops as they want all the business for themselves. That why I order mine out China now and even a complete or nearly complete set for the same money as I first paid for one tool.

Did you know that MTD go threatened with EPA fines for selling the tools to their dealers without requiring them to also have the special equipment to insure that the adjusted carb still met emissions standards. Also dealers where also threatened with fines up to $41,500 per tool for selling them, and that they could also fine the person that you sold it to up to $4,150. That was the reason that the manufacturers stops selling the tools to their dealers.

Here is also one that most people don't know. A dealer can be fined for installing an engine on a piece of equipment that is older than the engine that was removed. So you cannot legally swap an engine from an older mower to a newer mower. Also you cannot legally adjust the carb on a piece of equipment that you are not an authorized dealer for. So even though your MTD tool will also work on an Echo doesn't mean you can legally use that tool.

I know of one Toro dealer was raided by the EPA because their distributor had released his spring stocking order too early, and that order contained EPA certification stickers for the following year. So he basically received 2014 EPA stickers in December of 2013. For the most part is hasn't been enforced but the potential is there for some real headaches.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Wow. I am at a loss for words.
some aspects of our country is screwed up

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You are not alone.
he story is the same down here.
I had to by my carb tools from ebay because my wholesalers can not sell them for the same reasons as Illengine stated.
We go onto tier II on July 1 this year.
If I sell a new 25:1 two stroke engine after that I get fines, starting at $ 8,000 for the first offense and just about doubling for each subsequent offense.
But if I set up an Ebay shop & can sell all that I want and can not be fined.

And as I keep saying to show the stupidity of this, an old jumbo jet tosses near 1000 liters of raw unburned fuel out out the engines every time it takes off & about 1/2 that when it lands.
Hand held petrol powered tool account for around 0.00000001% of emissions.
Air transport accounts for about 20%

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
You are not alone.
he story is the same down here.
I had to by my carb tools from ebay because my wholesalers can not sell them for the same reasons as Illengine stated.
We go onto tier II on July 1 this year.
If I sell a new 25:1 two stroke engine after that I get fines, starting at $ 8,000 for the first offense and just about doubling for each subsequent offense.
But if I set up an Ebay shop & can sell all that I want and can not be fined.

And as I keep saying to show the stupidity of this, an old jumbo jet tosses near 1000 liters of raw unburned fuel out out the engines every time it takes off & about 1/2 that when it lands.
Idiots are running most of the world now

AVB

Threads
Did you know that MTD go threatened with EPA fines for selling the tools to their dealers without requiring them to also have the special equipment to insure that the adjusted carb still met emissions standards. Also dealers where also threatened with fines up to $41,500 per tool for selling them, and that they could also fine the person that you sold it to up to $4,150. That was the reason that the manufacturers stops selling the tools to their dealers.

Here is also one that most people don't know. A dealer can be fined for installing an engine on a piece of equipment that is older than the engine that was removed. So you cannot legally swap an engine from an older mower to a newer mower. Also you cannot legally adjust the carb on a piece of equipment that you are not an authorized dealer for. So even though your MTD tool will also work on an Echo doesn't mean you can legally use that tool.

I know of one Toro dealer was raided by the EPA because their distributor had released his spring stocking order too early, and that order contained EPA certification stickers for the following year. So he basically received 2014 EPA stickers in December of 2013. For the most part is hasn't been enforced but the potential is there for some real headaches.
That sounds about right on how dumb the EPA is at times.
Yes I remember when our 9/11 happen how clear the skies got when after a couple weeks all the planes were grounded.

Referring to stupidity. When I first got into business some piss off local shop turned me for collecting sales tax on repairs. Instead of the revenue department checking thier records they tried the entrapment angle by pretending to be a customer. As soon as handle him the repair bill he pull out his badge and started threatening me with fines and arrest. But I had him and revenue department by the balls as I had all my licenses, tax records, and the cancelled checks at my finger tips. I never found out who turned me in. I had my suspicions but nothing concrete.