Eaton Hydrostatic Transmission 778 - would like to purchase a used one

jp levesque

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Eaton Hydrostatic Transmission 778 - would like to purchase a used one
I currently own a Swisher 66" zero turn, which is about 8 years old. It has been a wonderful unit. Model ZTR2866BS. Serial L112-334029

It came equipped with Eaton model 778 Hydrostat Transmissions; regrettably one of them is seized. The hydraulic housing is a sealed unit and it doesn't look like it can be opened for service.

I understand that Eaton is no longer in business, so I'm reaching out to the LawnWorld blog members to solicit some help.

I live in a remote part of Alberta, Canada and for logistic reasons I would rather repair my lawnmower as opposed to purchasing a new one.

Would anyone know of someone that may have a new or used 778 transmission for sale, or have you heard of anyone else with a similar problem that was able to find a shop that could repair this self contained unit?

I would be forever grateful for your help. Although we are still a couple months away from cutting grass, I would imagine it will take that long to source and secure a replacement transmission.

If you prefer, please send me an email at parnell.levesque@gmail.com

Thank you and happy lawn cutting!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Eaton Hydrostatic Transmission 778 - would like to purchase a used one
The 700 series is still made
Eatons did not shut down they just stopped making drives for mowers because the mower companies would not pay for the quality
The hydro is repairable but you will just have to find a Eatons transmission service centre and bring them the transmission
I have one of the same mowers in my service run and it has been sitting idle for over a year as I can not find a cooling fan to fit it as the only 700 series runs in the opposite direction and the only fan made is too big