Early Style Auto-Choke for B&S 190cc Engine?

heamicdan

Threads
The non flammable won't ignite via spark in the engine... or at least that's been my experience after accidentally buying the non flammable. i've just started using the house brand O'rielly's or Advance auto.
View attachment 56632
i use it but most of time use gas that i squirt in

heamicdan

Threads
Well...... yes i have as a matter of fact and due to a slight miscalculation resulting in a sizeable loss of hair on my arm and the back of my head i have purchased an air blast tire bead seater. $100 very well spent!
a comealong works better -- gas works on car tires but not so great on new small tires

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Heamicdan, I’m still looking for pics of that carb with no choke or throttle??? Dave, if you push the primer build you should see fuel pumped into the air horn. If you don’t see fuel only three possible causes. Warped air filter base, bad gasket or bad primer bulb. If you’ve ever had to install a tractor tire out in the field, you’ll know why the old mechanics carried carb cleaner, two inch chain, two pieces of rebar shaped like a shepherds hook and some kindling lightly soaked in oil. Big bang, but it works 98% of the time, the first try.

Last edited:
Threads
Could you post a picture of the complete engine for us?
It's to bad you can't find the model # on the engine.

D@ve

Threads
Could you post a picture of the complete engine for us?
It's to bad you can't find the model # on the engine.
See my other post w/model & engine info: https://www.lawnmowerforum.com/threads/early-style-auto-choke-for-b-s-190cc-engine.64874/post-398539
I cleaned everything up, including the air box and primer bulb, but still no joy.
I think I may get a new air box base / primer. There seemed to be very little air flowing through it when I had it off the carb. If that doesn't do it I guess I'll stick with the starter fluid method.

beerslayer12

Forum Newbie
Threads
i have a similar issue no primer op. starts with ether will run great till out of gas then same thing ether gets it restarted why i need to prime warm engine got me ? everything new after double down on gaskets for air box to carb 1st then new primer ball then new complete air box absolute zero fuel spray? i can give a shot of compressed air into coresponding carb hole or through vacated primer bulb hole into screen area hole and see fuel squirt up venturi . carb is new as well cyl comp. sorta low 50ish using 40 yr old auto gauge set . not a high mile unit or ever abused etc

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just a note on doubling up the intake gasket... It doesn't work!
What I do, is clean the plastic housing really good, put the gasket on and spread a little bit of rtv along the bottom edge where the air channel runs. Let it dry, and you're good to go.
On the gasket, isn't there a special hole for air to go into the carb to prime? And RTV oozing into that hole causing it to not work? No sale..... 2 gaskets it is.

slomo

beerslayer12

Forum Newbie
Threads
On the gasket, isn't there a special hole for air to go into the carb to prime? And RTV oozing into that hole causing it to not work? No sale..... 2 gaskets it is.

slomo
i am a newbie to this forum although read topics for years so thx 4 responding.. this is really got me scratching my head. i was wondering if i hold cover with gasket removed and finger over that hole leading to carb that feeds pressure to bowl and push on primer bulb should there not be some evidence of resistance till i remove finger ? i was thinking maybe i could try this test under water and look to c if air is escaping elsewhere on the cover plate its brand new so i dont get it

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sure, primer bulb could be dead. You could also take a can of compressed air or an air compressor, blow air into that same hole on the carb. A small squirt of fuel should squirt up vertically into the carb. Your carb might be clogged up too not allowing the primed air to enter, filled with grass and muck.

slomo

beerslayer12

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sure, primer bulb could be dead. You could also take a can of compressed air or an air compressor, blow air into that same hole on the carb. A small squirt of fuel should squirt up vertically into the carb. Your carb might be clogged up too not allowing the primed air to enter, filled with grass and muck.

slomo
after having putzed around with the old parts i got brand new air filter housing with bulb and new gasket and still got zip i did apply some compressed air through carb hole and also with primer bulb out directly into the screen hole on cover and fuel did disperse up venturi (carb is brand new )