Ear Muffs while mowing

macky

Threads
Motorized mowing engines (ride-on, trimmers, hand-pushed) all emit noise that just doesn't mix well in residential homes. Anyhow, they're noisy enough for the people around. But aren't they noisy to the operators too? I can see that most of them don't wear ear muffs. I find that a bit scary, for their sake.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
IMO your are correct. Ear and eye protection should be worn when using most lawn care power tools. I personnally use eye protection when using my trimmer but that is about it. I make sure my muffler is working an attached properly on my push mower but never wear ear protection although I feel I should it just gets to hot here.
Maybe that's one reason I can't hear very well. I wish I had taken better care of my ears when I was younger.

indypower

Threads
If you work for a landscaper, ear & eye protection are required by law. And if they also use chainsaws then chaps are required. OSHA is strict on this.

rekees

Threads
I always wear ear muffs and safety sunglasses while mowing.

Manny

Threads
Ear muffs, or ear plugs? I have to say that I know I will pay a hefty price one day for not using the protection I should, when it comes to noise. I don't even think about using ear plugs. I am also bad about going to concerts and getting so close to the speakers that my ears are ringing for days...

Twinkle

Threads
To be honest I never really thought about this issue, though now it makes perfect sense. Sadly I think we may be a bit blase about health issues which tend to have a longer term effect, whereas I always think about protecting my eyes. Thanks for bringing this issue up.

stuckinnj

Threads
Ear plugs whenever I'm mowing, triming or using the tractor in the pastures. I wear glasses so eye protection is pretty much a no brainer. And before someone says anything, my lens are polycarbonate and as safe as any safety glasses. I even have snap on side protection.

The nice thing about ear plugs, buy the right kind and you will forget they are there. Ear muffs - the band will pull out your hair (if you're lucky enough to still have some) and they generate heat where they cup over your ears. Just plain uncomfortable.

That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.........

macky

Threads
Thanks for the replies guys. I admire countries and counties that have strict rules about it. I wish I can say the same here. I grew up in a rural area. Frankly, I still find the sound of mowers an intrusion into the silence I used to enjoy back when I was chasing dragonflies. But we do need mowers. The least we can do is protect our ears.

Ear plugs look like a better option than simple ear muffs. What's an ear plug made of? Maybe I'm just missing them in supply stores. I imagine them to be made of soft material.

jross

Threads
Someday one will pay for not wearing hearing protection? After 30 years operating electric generators I have lost hearing in the upper ranges. I wear radio muffs now when mowing.