DYT 4000 no spark continued

draperk2004

Threads
So I just got my new ignition module for my DYT 4000 and put it on. Sure enough that was my problem because as soon as I hooked it up and grounded the plug I had great spark. So I put it all back together and fired up the lawn mower and it ran great. This happened for about two minutes. After I shut the lawn mower off and then tried to restart it, my mower wouldn't start. So I checked for spark again and nothing. I took off the safety switch ground wire and nothing. The module is shot. Any ideas what might be happening. What is going to make a coil go bad so quickly and how do I find the answer. Any help would be greatly appreciated because I am now 32.00 down.

KD

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hook the positive lead to the ground wire going to the ignition module, and the ground lead to a good engine ground. While watching the meter turn the key switch on and off several times, and see if you are getting an intermittent 12 v flash to the module. if so replace the key switch and get another module. 12v to the module will fry the internal circuits, causing immediate failure.

draperk2004

Threads
Okay so I just put an ohmeter on the ground wire and set it at 20 dc. Every time I shut off the ignition, it jumped to 14. Does that mean my ignition is bad and I need a new ignition switch as well as a ignition module?

KD

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Definately a sign of bad ignition switch. To double check after removing ignition switch connnect meter in Ohm scale and connect between the prong for the kill wire and the battery wire and see if you get continuity between the two in switching between key positions. I would say it is a bad key switch and probably would replace anyway.

draperk2004

Threads
Are you talking about where the wires come into the ignition switch and which wires are they if you are?

KD

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That's what I was talking about. The prongs on the key switch maybe marked B and M, if not you will have to figure out which wires come from the battery, the one that has 12v coming from the battery, and the wire coming from the ignition module. Battery wire should be Red, the wire coming from the module may be some other color but could be Black.

draperk2004

Threads
Just wanted to let you know that the igntion switch was the problem. Thank you so much. I only had to pay 49.00 for a fix that would have cost me much much more and I learned a lot. Thanks again ILENGINE
!!!