DuraForce 6.5hp questions

Phototone

Threads
Did LawnBoy make a non-self propelled mower with the DuraForce 6.5 hp engine? All I ever get are self-propelled. Also, there are those who claim the DuraForce 6.5 hp engine was actually made by Tecumsah. Is there truth to this?

dewguy1999

Threads
Did LawnBoy make a non-self propelled mower with the DuraForce 6.5 hp engine? All I ever get are self-propelled. Also, there are those who claim the DuraForce 6.5 hp engine was actually made by Tecumsah. Is there truth to this?

I can't help with the second question, but for the first an emphatic yes. I have a 10247 with a 6.5 hp DuraForce engine that I bought specifically because it wasn't self-propelled.

jp1961

Threads
I sent an e-mail to Lawn-Boy customer support (Toro), they replied Lawn-Boy made the Duraforce engine, not Tecumseh. It's also 175cc, making it the largest 2 stroke put on a walk behind. Not sure how many cc the Suzuki engine was, but I believe the Suzuki was rated at 5 hp.

Jeff

Mystik2stroke

Threads
I sent an e-mail to Lawn-Boy customer support (Toro), they replied Lawn-Boy made the Duraforce engine, not Tecumseh. It's also 175cc, making it the largest 2 stroke put on a walk behind. Not sure how many cc the Suzuki engine was, but I believe the Suzuki was rated at 5 hp.

Jeff

Hi-

just a note the Duraforce 2 cycle is 141cc per my service manual, but yes it is the largest 2 stroke on any production mower. Rated power is 6.5 (@ 2900 rpm) but some say if the carb is adjusted slightly it is closer to 7 hp (@2900 rpm).

The RteK snow thrower version is also 141cc but it is a piston ported induction rather than reed valve, and there are two versions of the Rtek. One is a "base" version with 5 or 6 hp @4100 rpm, then there is the same engine with the boost port cylinder for the larger snowthrowers, that one is rated at 7 hp at 4100 rpm.

Obviously the con rod can handle rpms up to 4100rpms. Same con rod for the Rtek and Duraforce.

Cylinder porting is different for the Duraforce versus the Rtek. Both were made by Briggs and Stratton for lawnboy.

jp1961

Threads
Not doubting what the service manual says regarding cc. The tech at Lawn-Boy may have got it wrong. But this was their reply;
Thank you for your request for the converted cc on your product.

The converted cc is roughly 175cc; it is a 6.5hp engine more specifically, for your LB 2cyc Silver.

In addition, other specifications and product information can be found on-line at www.toro.com, through an Authorized Service Dealer, or in your owner痴 manual. To ensure you obtain the correct specification, please have your model and serial number available.

We value you as a Toro customer and appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

Sincerely,

Jacob

Customer Care Representative

Case Number 2432664

beg

Threads
I have 2 of the non sp duraforce models. One was a high wheeler the other one was modified for who knows but it has a different sound to it like it was ported.right now I am fabricating an exspansion type exhaust for it that I took off of a wrecked scooter.The nieghbors are gonna love it.

Guidotkp

Threads
I just completed some research on this very subject. I found there were 6 models made with the Duraforce 6.5hp engine and non-self-propelled.

Model 10247 - 1998-2003 SilverPro Series 21" cut steel deck mulcher
Model 10247C - 2001-2003 SilverPro Series 21" cut Steel deck mulcher
Model 10250 - 1998 SilverPro Series 21" cut steel deck mulcher
Model 10252 - 1999-2002 SilverPro Series 21" cut steel deck mulcher
Model 10424 - 1998-2004 GoldPro Series 21" cut cast deck mulcher
Model 10425 - 1998 GoldPro Series 21" cut cast deck mulcher

If anyone in the Midwest has a nice 10424 they'd be willing to part with, or knows where I can find one, please let me know.