Mower deck Driveshaft separated, won't go back together

Amanda4461

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello folks,
I have a Kubota GR2120 Diesel tractor. Just changed the blades for the first time. Hooked the deck back up, slid the little quick-connect driveshaft fitting on, and tried it out. The quick-connect didn't connect after all, and came off quickly. In a hurry, I pulled the small driveshaft containing the quick-connect out of the main driveshaft in order to get enough leverage to make it snap in place correctly. That worked, but the small driveshaft will not go back into the large driveshaft to the blade gearbox. Looking at the large driveshaft, it appears to have all the same splines as does the small shaft, except for one groove which appears to be two splines wide, leaving a larger area open to receive the small shaft splines. The small shaft does not have a corresponding spline made up double-wide to fit this groove in the large shaft. Is the fit they type that requires the splined shaft to be frozen to reduce its o.d., or am I missing something else, other than my brain:confused2:
Thanks!
Amanda

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hello folks, I have a Kubota GR2120 Diesel tractor. Just changed the blades for the first time. Hooked the deck back up, slid the little quick-connect driveshaft fitting on, and tried it out. The quick-connect didn't connect after all, and came off quickly. In a hurry, I pulled the small driveshaft containing the quick-connect out of the main driveshaft in order to get enough leverage to make it snap in place correctly. That worked, but the small driveshaft will not go back into the large driveshaft to the blade gearbox. Looking at the large driveshaft, it appears to have all the same splines as does the small shaft, except for one groove which appears to be two splines wide, leaving a larger area open to receive the small shaft splines. The small shaft does not have a corresponding spline made up double-wide to fit this groove in the large shaft. Is the fit they type that requires the splined shaft to be frozen to reduce its o.d., or am I missing something else, other than my brain:confused2: Thanks! Amanda

How have you liked your kubota now that you have had it for 2 years?

It came out so we know it will go back in. I believe the trick is to find that one way that it goes in. I would disconnect the quick- connect it will make it easier to get the two shafts back together. Would also be a good time to add some grease to the shafts.

Amanda4461

Forum Newbie
Threads
The Kubota GR2120 has been perfect. I only cut about 1.75 acres, but it has been fabulous on all counts. The Diesel has convinced me, so my next SUV will be a diesel. The mulching deck has worked well, and I have not had an issue until I separated the drive shaft, which was just me getting in a hurry. I found the quick-connect bearing plate had gotten one bearing under the flat plate, fixed that and it snapped back on ok. I shouldn't have separated the shafts, but I haven't had this problem before, and really wonder if I aint just trying too hard. I did learn that the mower deck holds grass due to the mulching deck configuration, so I will be pulling the deck more often in the future and cleaning it out better. It is simple enough as long as it is done on concrete, so the deck will slide over. Otherwise it is too heavy to deal with. It has been reliable and it cuts well. My dealership guys never see me other than to buy a filter or some transmission oil for a PM.
I have the two half-shafts out of the mower on the bench. If nobody knows the secret combination, I'll drop them at the service shop Monday and be embarrassed when they show me the right way.

OldMasterTech

Threads
Hello folks,
I have a Kubota GR2120 Diesel tractor. Just changed the blades for the first time. Hooked the deck back up, slid the little quick-connect driveshaft fitting on, and tried it out. The quick-connect didn't connect after all, and came off quickly. In a hurry, I pulled the small driveshaft containing the quick-connect out of the main driveshaft in order to get enough leverage to make it snap in place correctly. That worked, but the small driveshaft will not go back into the large driveshaft to the blade gearbox. Looking at the large driveshaft, it appears to have all the same splines as does the small shaft, except for one groove which appears to be two splines wide, leaving a larger area open to receive the small shaft splines. The small shaft does not have a corresponding spline made up double-wide to fit this groove in the large shaft. Is the fit they type that requires the splined shaft to be frozen to reduce its o.d., or am I missing something else, other than my brain:confused2:
Thanks!
Amanda

If the half with external splines even gently hit anything then you could have a small burr at the tip preventing reinsertion. Use a small file to clean up the tip and try again.