Drive wheels, Looses traction

smoothy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Model: YTH2348: My property is slightly hilly but not a problem for other lawn mower tractors i've had. As i drive this mower and ascend an incline there comes a point where my back wheel begins to spin, on one side or the other. I shift weight to that spinning wheel side then the other side spins. I have had the tire pressure perfect and tried adjusting pressure higher and lower. Lower rear tire pressure does help but problem does still occur. The blade adjustment lever on the left has many height settings but 2.5" is the lowest you can set the lever, trying to set the lever any lower feels as though you would bring the tractor off the ground. I think this deck is all out of adjustment but the manual mentions nothing of how to adjust blade height selection with the deck and does not mention anything about where is the proper placement height for the guide wheels at each deck corner, there are a number of holes to choose from. Let us start with these problems. Right now I despise this machine and dread using it.

Ken22

Threads
I inherited a YTH2042 and acquired a YTH18542 and I have traction problems with both. I have been able to adjust my mowing pattern to avoid spinouts which you may or may not be able to do. You may have to invest in more aggressive tires. As for cutting I sucked my decks as high as they can go and they still cut to short. As for the scalping wheels start with the top holes and adjust them down till you don't scalp your lawn. That's a trial and error thing. I don't have anywhere that I scalp so it doesn't matter where mine are set. I never liked the YTH2042 since dad bought it and got the YTH18542 for nothing. I solved the problem of dreading mowing with them by buying a ZTR mower which you may or may not be able to do. If you're a hunter it's kinda cool having that gun site on the front of your mower.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Apart from drinking a lot of beer not much you can do.
The square profile tyres are more aggressive than the round shouldered ones
You can add some water to the tyres like they do with real tractors but make sure you add a lot of glycol to it or it will rust your rims.
Downside is more agressive tyres will tend to tear up your lawn.
OTOH if it is more pasture than lawn then not such a problem.
Some on on here a while back found some ATV tyres but I think they were for a ride on.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Or you can spend over $500 and upgrade the differential of the transaxle to an auto-locking type. You might even be to find an used K46CR. But right now you got the standard rear differential setup without traction control.