drive belt

RDA.Lawns

Threads
I just broke my second belt this year on my torro zmaster. It drives 2 hydro pumps not a very long or expensive belt.What could be the cause everything looks as it should.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Picture of broken belt would help.

RDA.Lawns

Threads
Not much left of it.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20160731_174250.png
    ForumRunner_20160731_174250.png
    627.1 KB · Views: 11
  • ForumRunner_20160731_174314.png
    ForumRunner_20160731_174314.png
    512.8 KB · Views: 10

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
That looks like it came apart from the v side of the belt. Check all the v pulleys for something stuck inside the v grove.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Which belt did you fit ?
Toro , quality after market or cheapy off evilbay ?
How long was it on there ?
What sort of ground are you mowing over , sandy , gravely , muddy, lots of sticks, etc,etc ?

That particular belt should have an easy life as it it always under the same tension and running at almost the same speed, a far easier life than say your car's fan belt.
check for debris stuck in the grooves as previously mentioned also check the bearing in the tension pulley and arm.
Check all the mounting bolts for the pumps & engine for looseness
Finally have a good look at the tension spring there are a few places it can be anchored to and if too tight it will destroy the belt in no time flat.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have been threw this. Belts would last around 100 hours. I talked with the toro tech at my dealer. Went with a belt a half inch shorter. Was still doing good after 500 hours when I traded it in. Toro has this problem on a couple of there mowers. The belt rubs. By going with the shorter belt it does not rub.

RDA.Lawns

Threads
It was a gates belt defiantly cheaper options. Soil conditions here are lots of sand. I only have a couple yards with lots of sticks.The belt lasted a couple months.The engine bolts were a little lose everything else was fine.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It was a gates belt defiantly cheaper options. Soil conditions here are lots of sand. I only have a couple yards with lots of sticks.The belt lasted a couple months.The engine bolts were a little lose everything else was fine.

Well if it was a Gates then no reason to doubt the quality of the belt.
There are a lot of belts around that are trash.

This is the best belt failure analysis I have found in print.
It comes from an AYP Frigidare service manual.
The JD ones have more detail but the photos are in black & white so not as useful.
View attachment Belt Failure.pdf