Drive Belt Question

Berniebac

Threads
I replaced my drive belt this spring and now it seems like the tractor does not have enough power to drive up my steep driveway. Would go up it last year, but is very slow to drive up it now. It seems like I can start up with the shift lever in 6, and it will slow to a stop. Then if I move the lever down towards 3 it will very slowly crawl up the hill.

The only other thing I did was change to a new carb. I have two and keep one cleaned so I can change it out very couple years to clean the one that is on it

Would a new drive belt cause the tractor to not climb a hill?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I replaced my drive belt this spring and now it seems like the tractor does not have enough power to drive up my steep driveway. Would go up it last year, but is very slow to drive up it now. It seems like I can start up with the shift lever in 6, and it will slow to a stop. Then if I move the lever down towards 3 it will very slowly crawl up the hill.

The only other thing I did was change to a new carb. I have two and keep one cleaned so I can change it out very couple years to clean the one that is on it

Would a new drive belt cause the tractor to not climb a hill?

Are you sure you have the right belt?

Berniebac

Threads
Sorry, I should have mentioned that it is a Columbia tractor which is an MTD clone. I picked the belt up at an industrial shop that matched the length and width of the belt for me. It was a place that was recommended by the local mower repair shop where I normally purchase my parts. They did not have the belt in stock. My old belt was the correct part number and was Kevlar

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
It sound like the belt is slipping? What happen to the old belt for you to replace it. It sounds like you didn't replace it with a belt that had the same part number. I would say get a OEM belt.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
It sound like the belt is slipping? What happen to the old belt for you to replace it. It sounds like you didn't replace it with a belt that had the same part number. I would say get a OEM belt.

I agree.
When it comes to anything MTD it is always best to use a OEM belt.

If you have the variable speed set up with two belts you need to replace them both at the same time or the drive will not work as it should. Like not going up a hill I high speed.

Berniebac

Threads
Code:

The old belt was cracked and I suspect close to breaking. I did not get an OEM belt as my supplier suggested this as an alternate. Maybe OEM is the only way to go. Just a pain to have to change that again. I can't get the drive pulley off and have to unbolt the engine to get the belt off/on.