Don't bother to sharpen those blades!

N2STC

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ha! I got you to look. I like to post conversation starters.
Seriously though:
I agree that sharp blades make a difference, the first time you mow.
Has anyone ever sharpened their blades, mowed once and checked them?
I did. It seems to me they were just about as dull as before I sharpened them. Maybe I didn't do it right.

Happy debating!
Stan

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
And that is the reason that razor sharp blades are not recommended and leaving a slightly blunt edge is ;preferred.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
You can sharpen them to a razor's edge but after a few minutes of mowing they will blunt to a certain point and stay that way a fairly long time. I put a set of Gator G6 blades with Fusion edge at the beginning of last season. They are still sharper than a regular blade after about 75 hours of use.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
The angle of the tip is something to consider too. A steep angle is a bit stronger for rough area mowing while a longer narrow angle might stay sharp longer. With that angle I can usually sharpen the blades in mid season and at the end ready for next year.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You must have been looking at the set blades I replaced this morning. So badly worn no point in sharping them.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Like the set i changed last week. Cust complained of clumping and not blowing the grass out. The lifts on the blades were worn completely off.