Export thread

Does anybody here enjoy traveling?

JDgreen

JDgreen

I will answer a broad, "NO" on my part...can elaborate in depth but I am trying to limit how much I stare at the screen...you should all know why by now. Next apppointment with my doctor is in two weeks.

S

Slater

I will answer a broad, "NO" on my part...can elaborate in depth but I am trying to limit how much I stare at the screen...you should all know why by now. Next apppointment with my doctor is in two weeks.

That is a very broad question :biggrin: Travel for work, travel for vacation, etc. I enjoy travel for the most part, but the saying is true, there is no place like home. After being away for a week, I am always ready to get back to my wife!

JDgreen

JDgreen

That is a very broad question :biggrin: Travel for work, travel for vacation, etc. I enjoy travel for the most part, but the saying is true, there is no place like home. After being away for a week, I am always ready to get back to my wife!

Okay, lets limit it to "vacation"....

S

Slater

Okay, lets limit it to "vacation"....

Well my answer may be way different than most because when I go on vacation its only my wife and I, no kids :biggrin: So if we can fly I enjoy it, but I don't enjoy driving everywhere. Did take a motorcycle trip a few summers ago with my dad and two brothers and that was a lot of fun even with all the driving :thumbsup:

JDgreen

JDgreen

As for me, it seems inane to spend four days driving 75 mph to Florida and back, to spend a week in an overpriced condo ad sit on the balcony and watch the water. Makes no sense to me to pile up 2500 miles on a car going someplace to "relax". When I am not home I miss all my things and ESPECIALLY my four beloved boys, and I worry about them the whole time I am away. My wife loves to travel, she isn't the one who has to do everything involved in going away.

I hate to fly (expensive, cramped, risky, at the mercy of strangers) and hate to drive (expensive, cramped, boring, at the mercy of reckless other fools on the roads). We have gone to Florida many times, on cruises out of Miami about 8 times, traveled to other countries during the cruises but for the most part it's not fun to me. There is NOTHING, repeat NOTHING, out there that I need to see, or want to see. For the most part when I am away I get screamingly bored not being able to do the things I want to do.

Expensive lodging, overpriced meals, rude crowds, $4 a gallon gas, cramped airline seats, tourist traps intended to rip you off...I will NEVER understand why ANYBODY enjoys traveling. You spend all that time getting ready and going someplace, then when it's over you spend all that time unpacking and scrambling around trying to catch up on what you missed.

Well, I DO enjoy taking our motorhome out within Michigan, because I can take my things along and also my boys...but even after a week I miss home. There is NO PLACE I would rather be than home. People tell me, "you don't know what you are missing", yeah right.

That's how I feel and I wanted to pass it along.

bakerg

bakerg

I like cruises, thats my kind of vacation.:biggrin: No driving or cooking, just drive to airport, fly, get shuttled to boat, cruise and fill your belly, shuttle to airport, fly, drive home. :laughing:

twall

twall

Never really had a hankerin' to travel. Me and a buddy went to Michigan, to see the Henry Ford Museum. That was a cool trip. Went to North Carolina with another buddy to help his wife's aunt move. Saw Washington DC a couple times. Live about an hour from Niagra Falls. I'd like to see NYC someday - probably drive till I can take an Amtrak into it - just to say I've been there.

But, with restrictions and security as it is, I'll never venture out of the US again, most likely (although Canada is the closest I've come to being 'outside the US'). :frown: Would've liked to take a cruise or go to Europe, but I'll never be able to afford it. So, I realize my stature in life and just am happy with home.

JDgreen

JDgreen

About 4 years ago many of the family members flew to Cancun. Mexico, to attend a wedding for the youngest girl in the extended family. The flight wasn't too long, there were no delays, we pretty much enjoyed the place we stayed at, but it was so flipping HOT as the day went along there wasn't much we could do outside.

I will say ONE really positive thing about traveling...visiting other countries certainly makes you appreciate how well off we are here. Twall, your mobile home may not be fancy by some people's standards here, but compared to the packing crate and sheet metal hovels we saw all over Mexico, your home would be very fancy. Ours, large and remodeled, would be considered a palace by most of the citizens there. Hmmm, maybe we need to visit another really poor country, to make me appreciate how well off I am...:rolleyes:

Maybe I should reveal this...what I dislike about traveling mainly is all the preparations you go thru then all the time you spend getting there, and back, and catching up when you get back. Maybe if someone ever invents a way to magically transport you thru time and space, and you arrive and return from your destination in an eyeblink, that would make me enjoy travel more. Never will know, however.

Twall, found it interesting you visited the Henry Ford Museum...I am a car nut, would love to return there again, last time I went was back about 1967....:laughing:..but wife has no interest in cars.

twall

twall

JD -

I find it interesting that I never enjoyed a single trip I took, while I was on the trip (except what I describe below). But, itn retrospect, I cherish what I remember. I only really like trips in retrospect. I feel uprooted the whole time I am actually on the trip.

I really did enjoy the.....what is it called......the village of old houses connected (financially) to the HFM.......Grenwich? Greenfield? What's the name of that village? I loved it. We ate at this old inn from the 1800's, disassemled, moved to this spot, and reassembled. We had pork loin rubbed in Rosemary and other spices, and had this soda you drank through a macaroni straw. It was the coolest place I ever ate at. There were no separate tables, just two loooooong tables, like picnic tables times 10 long............

poncho62

poncho62

I enjoy traveling......when I can afford it.....mostly driving, taking our time and seeing the sites....Last winter, we took 8 days to drive from here (Ontario Canada) to Arizona.....seeing the sights along the way, spent 5 weeks in Az and then made our way home.....That was our 2nd time making that trip.......Have also taken summer trips to Yellowstone, Black Hills SD, Florida and trips to eastern Canada and US......

bakerg

bakerg

JD -

I find it interesting that I never enjoyed a single trip I took, while I was on the trip (except what I describe below). But, itn retrospect, I cherish what I remember. I only really like trips in retrospect. I feel uprooted the whole time I am actually on the trip.

I really did enjoy the.....what is it called......the village of old houses connected (financially) to the HFM.......Grenwich? Greenfield? What's the name of that village? I loved it. We ate at this old inn from the 1800's, disassemled, moved to this spot, and reassembled. We had pork loin rubbed in Rosemary and other spices, and had this soda you drank through a macaroni straw. It was the coolest place I ever ate at. There were no separate tables, just two loooooong tables, like picnic tables times 10 long............

You got it right, it's Greenfield Village.:thumbsup:

bakerg

bakerg

Went to Disney World once in 97. I was the 25th anniversary of Disney World. Drove to airport, fly, shuttle to Disney, enjoy, shuttle to airport, fly & drive home.:smile: As you can see I don't like driving but i do enjoy time away from home.:laughing: The only bad thing that happened on that trip was my father died and we have to leave a day early.:frown:

grnspot110

grnspot110

My idea of a "vacation" are 1-2 day tractor shows, scattered through the Summer. All are within 120 miles of home, most less than 50. :smile:

I've never been more than a couple of states away & never really cared to! ~~ grnspot

twall

twall

My idea of a "vacation" are 1-2 day tractor shows, scattered through the Summer. All are within 120 miles of home, most less than 50. :smile:

I've never been more than a couple of states away & never really cared to! ~~ grnspot

THAT'S what I'm talkin about!! :thumbsup:

That's the reason I started restorations. There's a three day one here in August - that's what I'm shootin for....pop-up, my handiwork, and fri, sat, sun......ahhhhhhhh:tongue:

JDgreen

JDgreen

Twall-good memory-its Greenfield Village. Sent from mobile.

twall

twall

Greenfield Village - I'm gonna take my kid there in a few years. He'll love it.

T

The Post Man

I have been to Costa Rica and after my 3rd trip I am ready to sell out and move there. Beautiful country, great temperatures, and Obama is NOT the president !!!

mystreba

mystreba

I have been to Costa Rica and after my 3rd trip I am ready to sell out and move there. Beautiful country, great temperatures, and Obama is NOT the president !!!

I totally agree with you! Costa Rica is awesome.

Uh, on the other comment, let's not go there!
FINGERWAG.gif

Bison

Bison

As for me, it seems inane to spend four days driving 75 mph to Florida and back, to spend a week in an overpriced condo ad sit on the balcony and watch the water. Makes no sense to me to pile up 2500 miles on a car going someplace to "relax". When I am not home I miss all my things and ESPECIALLY my four beloved boys, and I worry about them the whole time I am away. My wife loves to travel, she isn't the one who has to do everything involved in going away.

I hate to fly (expensive, cramped, risky, at the mercy of strangers) and hate to drive (expensive, cramped, boring, at the mercy of reckless other fools on the roads). We have gone to Florida many times, on cruises out of Miami about 8 times, traveled to other countries during the cruises but for the most part it's not fun to me. There is NOTHING, repeat NOTHING, out there that I need to see, or want to see. For the most part when I am away I get screamingly bored not being able to do the things I want to do.

Expensive lodging, overpriced meals, rude crowds, $4 a gallon gas, cramped airline seats, tourist traps intended to rip you off...I will NEVER understand why ANYBODY enjoys traveling. You spend all that time getting ready and going someplace, then when it's over you spend all that time unpacking and scrambling around trying to catch up on what you missed.

Well, I DO enjoy taking our motorhome out within Michigan, because I can take my things along and also my boys...but even after a week I miss home. There is NO PLACE I would rather be than home. People tell me, "you don't know what you are missing", yeah right.

Exactly how i see it.
My wife goes with our 2 daughters to Mexico for 14 days every year laying at the beach.
I rather stay home. I would go nuts there.:confused2:.

Damn curser keeps jumping,i have a hard time posting with that screen moving like that:mad:

C

cottom

I was an over-the-road long haul trucker pulling flat beds and over size loads for nearly 2,000,000 miles in 49 of our 50 states and the lower five providences of Canada. I am done travelling, and sincerely wish my family would understand that. The only state I have not driven a commercial 18-wheeler is Hawaii, but I did drive a USAF tractor-trailer there, so I guess I could say I have driven in all fifty states. Though illegal, I have driven a tractor-trailer in Mexico when I rode along with a Mexican driver from Laredo, Texas to Mexico City, Mexico. He got tired, and I drove. American drivers have no concept of what we have here in the United States until they drive in Mexico!

M

michael b

I agree...it depends on the traveling. I travel quite a bit for work. The trips are from a couple days to a couple weeks. Sometimes I get stuck in a lower end hotel and I try my hardest to stay out of the room. Other times, the rooms are nice like at a Marriott and I never want to leave the room. What is even worse is if I am sent to a place where there is simply nothing to do or see on my time off. As for family vacations, we as a family look forward to them and plan well in advance. Someone mentioned they did not like staying in expensive condos. You can stay in a condo for quite cheap, especially if you plan your trip in the off season. We were going to go to Florida and stay on the gulf this year. Our friends gave us this website to see what condos were available: www.bluesunproperties.com. We have not booked yet, but it seems to be cheaper than staying in a beachfront hotel/resort. Vacations are what you make them. For us, it is about taking our son and watching him have the time of his life. This year, we decided on Orlando instead to take him to Disney. Maybe in a year or two we can check out the Gulf.

reynoldston

reynoldston

Did a lot of traveling when I was younger. Been to all lower 48 states and Alaska. Not sorry I did it. Now that I am retired and all the time I want can't do it anymore. Wife can't walk anymore and we both can't seem to get away from the Doctors, prescriptions, and bills anymore. Just can't afford to travel anymore. For entertainment I do a few repairs ( mowers, motorcycles, ATV's and no cars anymore) and spend a lot of time on the computer and take a afternoon nap. I have been told that these are the golden ages but the doctors and drug companys are taking all the gold.

B

Black Bart

Don't sound like you would make a long distance trucker.
After nearly 50 years of long distance trucking I enjoy just being able to stay home.:biggrin:
No place I really want to go if you throw a dart at a map of the USA wherever it hits I can say I have been their.
Been to places like New York Boston and Chicago thousands of times and hope that I never have to go their again ever.

JDgreen

JDgreen

Don't sound like you would make a long distance trucker.
After nearly 50 years of long distance trucking I enjoy just being able to stay home.:biggrin:
No place I really want to go if you throw a dart at a map of the USA wherever it hits I can say I have been their.
Been to places like New York Boston and Chicago thousands of times and hope that I never have to go their again ever.

I could never be a long distance trucker because I never liked to drive, was a delivery driver for State of Michigan for 31 years, drove commercial straight trucks up to 25 tons gross weight to every county here, some days I worked 14-15 hours and piled up over 500 miles and that is INCLUDING all the delivery stops I made. Not much of what I did was freeway driving. You spent a LOT longer driving than I did.

I guess I was lucky, got paid good money to see the entire state including all over the UP dozens of times, all expenses paid...very few state employees had a generous perk like that one....:thumbsup: :biggrin:

B

Black Bart

That is what I told a driver that was running double with me one time.
I said people save all year so they can come here and see the scenery and not only did you get a new Kenworth to drive but you got paid for coming, But he didn't see it that way. :laughing:

For 14 years I hauled livestock long distances no lost time loading or unloading like dry freight.
We ran 5600 miles per week hauling from Chicago stock yards to Purling Packing in Norfolk,VA made 3 round trips per week=5600 miles per week.:eek:

O

Oddball

Yes and no. I can't fly. My head won't pressurize, so from the time we hit 1000 feet AGL on takeoff until 3 hours after landing, my head feels like its going to pop. I do like to take 3 weeks off every 4 - 5 years and drive out west to TX, AZ, NM, etc. and see the national parks and just the desert. I feel alive out there. Its like a huge weight lifts off me every time we hit the TX line. Last time was 2 years ago through TX, NM, CO, UT and NV on the way to Reno to see the air races in September. Even made it over to CA and Yosemite. I don't have much desire to travel in the east or north. There's not much up north that we don't have in the south as far as scenery. I don't care for big cities and I don't really care for the beach. I would like to travel up to Minnesota and over into the Dakotas and then on to WY, MT and ID sometime. I only do these long vacations every few years because as much as I love it, the 5000+ miles of driving on top of the sightseeing all in 3 weeks really wears me out and it takes a few years to forget how grueling it can be. My wife has a gasoline a$$ as she puts it, and would be perfectly happy living on the road in a motor home. She doesn't have a job, so she travels to see family and with girlfriends fairly often and I usually take a few days vacation while she's gone just to bum around the house without having honey do lists stuck in my face every time I try to sit down.

Bison

Bison

Did a lot of traveling when I was younger. Been to all lower 48 states and Alaska. Not sorry I did it. Now that I am retired and all the time I want can't do it anymore. Wife can't walk anymore and we both can't seem to get away from the Doctors, prescriptions, and bills anymore. Just can't afford to travel anymore. For entertainment I do a few repairs ( mowers, motorcycles, ATV's and no cars anymore) and spend a lot of time on the computer and take a afternoon nap. I have been told that these are the golden ages but the doctors and drug companys are taking all the gold.
That's the problem with aging....to many can'ts :frown:.
can't see
can't hear
can't pee or poo
can't sleep
can't F...

Gawd i hate getting old
God must hate old folks :mad:

JDgreen

JDgreen

That's the problem with aging....to many can'ts :frown:.
can't see
can't hear
can't pee or poo
can't sleep
can't F...

Gawd i hate getting old
God must hate old folks :mad:

But we can still bitch about all the things we can't do...that's gotta be worth something.....:laughing::laughing:

Stop me if you have heard this one before:

An elderly man was walking down the sidewalk and he came across this ten year old boy sitting on a bench, bawling his eyes out. Being concerned, he asked the kid what he was crying for. And the ten year old said, "Just look across the street"....

The old guy says, "All I see is a bunch of teens drinking beer, smoking, leaning against their cars, and flirting with the girls..."

And the kid said, "That's why I'm crying, I can't do what the big boys do..."

So the old gentleman sat down beside the boy and started crying too.....:laughing:

reynoldston

reynoldston

[
The nice thing about this forum from young man high speed toys (motorcycles,snowmobiles, etc.) to slow speed old man toys lawn mowers and yard equipment. Only thing is I just am not ready to give up my motorcycles and ATV's yet still run them daily. My wife keeps telling me I am nuts and going to kill myself.

JDgreen

JDgreen

[
The nice thing about this forum from young man high speed toys (motorcycles,snowmobiles, etc.) to slow speed old man toys lawn mowers and yard equipment. Only thing is I just am not ready to give up my motorcycles and ATV's yet still run them daily. My wife keeps telling me I am nuts and going to kill myself.

Since whan are ATV's just a young guys toy? I am nearly 60 and enjoy this one year around.

Attachments

B

benski

I don't like traveling on large commercial airliners any more. Before deregulation, flying was a treat. 9/11 obviously didn't help matters either. I like to travel in private planes, and most of the time I like to drive. I stay off the interstate as much as possible, relax, and enjoy whatever pace the road will tolerate. It is always good to get back home though:biggrin:.

Cabinboy

Cabinboy

Here's my next 7 weeks of travel.....

Driving from home to Bamfield, BC to deep sea fish for 5 days Aug 7 - 13

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=3...yNHD6JVDFSM7JQ9ZalVw&mra=ls&doflg=ptk&t=h&z=7

Fly Aug 19 to Toronto for Trade Show
Leave Toronto Aug 24, fly to Vancouver for next Trade Show
Get Home on Aug 29
Trade Show at home from Sept 8 - 12
Fly to Milan Italy Sept 15 for last and biggest trade show for the season. Return home on Sept 25th

Will be sick of planes by this time.

Leave Jan 3 for 2 weeks in Manzanillo, Mexico. Should be -30 at home by then:cool:

Then we get to do the same thing in Spring starting about the middle of Feb.

Do I like travel? I would have to say yes, but at times it can be a bitch

N

noma

Hi

Go cruising this fall from New York to Bermuda, sound like fun i'm hoping, been on other cruises before and always had fun.:smile:

JDgreen

JDgreen

Hi

Go cruising this fall from New York to Bermuda, sound like fun i'm hoping, been on other cruises before and always had fun.:smile:

Have been cruising several times, enjoy it but HATE the 2500 mile round trip to get to the departure port and back.