Does a hydrostatic transmission provide greater wheel torque at lower ground speed?

NRAguy

Forum Newbie
I've been cutting grass at my house for about 50 years on various manual shift riding mowers.

Sadly, I now must buy a new mower, and I have been unable to find an answer to my question.

On a riding mower with a hydrostatic transmission, I understand that the ground speed is easily adjusted (usually with a foot petal).

As I understand, engine RPM is pretty much constant.

My question is:

If I am going up a rather steep hill on a mower with a hydrostatic transmission, would reducing the mower's ground speed increase the wheel torque delivered to the ground---allowing the mower to get up the hill easier?

Asked another way: Would reducing the mower's ground speed enable it to go up a steeper hill?

With a manual transmission, shifting to a lower gear reduces ground speed and increases wheel torque delivered to the ground, allowing the mower to go up steeper hills.

But all I can see mentioned about hydrostatic transmissions is how easy it is to adjust the mower's ground speed---no mention of wheel torque.

Thanks.
 
Back
Top