Does a hydrostatic transmission provide greater wheel torque at lower ground speed?

NRAguy

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Does a hydrostatic transmission provide greater wheel torque at lower ground speed?
I've been cutting grass at my house for about 50 years on various manual shift riding mowers.

Sadly, I now must buy a new mower, and I have been unable to find an answer to my question.

On a riding mower with a hydrostatic transmission, I understand that the ground speed is easily adjusted (usually with a foot petal).

As I understand, engine RPM is pretty much constant.

My question is:

If I am going up a rather steep hill on a mower with a hydrostatic transmission, would reducing the mower's ground speed increase the wheel torque delivered to the ground---allowing the mower to get up the hill easier?

Asked another way: Would reducing the mower's ground speed enable it to go up a steeper hill?

With a manual transmission, shifting to a lower gear reduces ground speed and increases wheel torque delivered to the ground, allowing the mower to go up steeper hills.

But all I can see mentioned about hydrostatic transmissions is how easy it is to adjust the mower's ground speed---no mention of wheel torque.

Thanks.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / Does a hydrostatic transmission provide greater wheel torque at lower ground speed?
Reducing input amount with a hydrostat does increase the torque output. Less pedal input gives more output.

NRAguy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Super! That is great info.

Thanks for the speedy reply!