Do You Pull A Dump Trailer With Your Zero Turn Mower?

Zeroturner

Threads
  • / Do You Pull A Dump Trailer With Your Zero Turn Mower?
If so, what's the maximum weight you'd estimate you've loaded the trailer with and away you went?

My Toro MX5060 didn't come with a hitch, so I ordered one through the dealer I bought it from. I told him I needed to occasionally haul stuff with my dump trailer. He never said one word about hauling weight maximum with my mower and I was too dumb to ask...

At this point, I've probably hauled a 100 loads of varying weight from very light to possibly 300/400 lbs. to the burn pile approximately a 1/4 mile behind my house.

The trailer is a small one that I would guess doesn't weigh over 75/85 lbs from Northern Tool. If I recall correctly it's a 17 sq. ft. It's great for hauling firewood, limb litter, mulch, etc.

And you?

Do you haul with your ZT mower?

gfp55

Threads
If so, what's the maximum weight you'd estimate you've loaded the trailer with and away you went?

My Toro MX5060 didn't come with a hitch, so I ordered one through the dealer I bought it from. I told him I needed to occasionally haul stuff with my dump trailer. He never said one word about hauling weight maximum with my mower and I was too dumb to ask...

At this point, I've probably hauled a 100 loads of varying weight from very light to possibly 300/400 lbs. to the burn pile approximately a 1/4 mile behind my house.

The trailer is a small one that I would guess doesn't weigh over 75/85 lbs from Northern Tool. If I recall correctly it's a 17 sq. ft. It's great for hauling firewood, limb litter, mulch, etc.

And you?

I can't say if your Toro MX5060 can pull anything or if its OK to pull anything with it. My 09 NH has 250 lb max and it came with a hitch. I would email/call the manufacturer and ask if it rated to pull a trailer. I'd hate to have to pay the bill for repairs if it can't or shouldn't pull a trailer. "But thats just me"

Zeroturner

Threads
gfp55

Yeah, I plan to call Monday (if I can get through) and find out max pull weight.

I've forgotten who I called a few years back when I wanted to know the same question on my Craftsmen tractor style mower and the answer was 400 lbs as long I was pulling something with wheels and not dragging it.

I have to believe more of us are using our ZT's to pull with, but not many seem to want to chime in...or maybe I'm in a very small minority...

gfp55

Threads
gfp55

Yeah, I plan to call Monday (if I can get through) and find out max pull weight.

I've forgotten who I called a few years back when I wanted to know the same question on my Craftsmen tractor style mower and the answer was 400 lbs as long I was pulling something with wheels and not dragging it.

I have to believe more of us are using our ZT's to pull with, but not many seem to want to chime in...or maybe I'm in a very small minority...
Some manufactures do not want you pulling trailers or things, others that do will state the max towing load as a selling tool. I read towing in the manual of your machine that it states not to tow anything greater then the weight of the mower. Did you read your owners manual and read that also? The dealer will sell you anything they can for money even if it not good for your machine. I can't see why someone could not tow 200-300 lbs, because you can put on counter weights and some people weigh in at 300-350 lbs. I would say calling the people that make it, they should give you good info.

Av8r

Threads
My Ferris has hydro - gear 3400 transaxle and states a towing capacity of 200 lbs for the reason

Excessive towed loads can cause loss of traction and loss of control on slopes.*

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

And you?

What you pull with a ZTR would depend on the ZTR. Some manufacturers will tell you if you pull anything it will or can void your warranty. Others like Dixie Chopper claim they can pull anything up to Two thousand pounds with some of there ZTR's. Your MX5060 is a residential unit with the twenty eight hundred drives and probably isn't rated to pull much so I'd be a little careful with loading three to four hundred pounds.

Av8r

Threads

And you?

This came out of the toro mx5060 manual.
Do not attach towed equipment except at the hitch point.

彦ollow the attachment manufacturer's recommendation for weight limits for towed equipment and towing on slopes. Towed weight must not exceed the weight of the machine, operator and ballast

mowerman05

Threads
My John Deere owners manual says not to pull anything more than the weight of the machine not including the driver.

Zeroturner

Threads
Thanks for all the great feedback.

If I recall correctly my machine weights around 600 lbs.

I'll revisit the manual, but I don't recall a single mention pertaining to towing particulars.

That being said, I'm now very leery of pulling the trailer with a heavy load. No one to blame but me for not researching this better to begin with...

I'll be sticking to 100 lbs max or so from now on.

Zeroturner

Threads
"I read towing in the manual of your machine that it states not to tow anything greater then the weight of the mower. Did you read your owners manual and read that also"

Yes, I carefully read the manual for my MX 5060 (Form No. 3371-772 Rev A "Page 5") and there's only 1 paragraph and 5 bullet points that address towing and the information provided is completely generic. As an example: Follow the manufacturer's recommendation for the weight limits towed equipment and towing on slopes.

That is: Zero information regarding weight, etc.