Do you need a qualification to operate a chainsaw?

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I for one am appreciative of the fact that I don't not have to compensate my local government for the privilege to operate a chainsaw. I don't not have to take a test, pay a fee or aquire a "license".
Any suggestions to the contary should be carefully considered.
I recently read a post where a member complained about having to register a vehicle that was not used for travel outside the boundries of his property. How do you think that member would feel about registering a chain saw? Where does it stop? You could hit your thimb with a hammer, should we require certification for the use of same? Have you ever considered how much mayhen you could inflict with a tractor?
If you use it and it hurts you, it's your fault. Please do ask our government to protect you from yourself as these things raise my taxes.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I for one am appreciative of the fact that I don't not have to compensate my local government for the privilege to operate a chainsaw. I don't not have to take a test, pay a fee or aquire a "license".
Any suggestions to the contary should be carefully considered.

Agreed ...
The bureaucracies that are created to control and enforce 'permits and licensing' are never going to be free to any community ...
I do not want to pay an agency to protect ME from MYSELF and I certainly don't want to pay to protect someone ELSE from them selves...
:smile:KennyV

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Agreed ...
The bureaucracies that are created to control and enforce 'permits and licensing' are never going to be free to any community ...
I do not want to pay an agency to protect ME from MYSELF and I certainly don't want to pay to protect someone ELSE from them selves...
:smile:KennyV

A few years back the township I live in enacted new regulations, that read in part:

If you want to reroof your house or outbuilding, or install new siding, you have to apply for a maintenance permit (free).

If you build a deck, replace a window or door with any size other than the existing size, you need a construction permit to pay for inspections, etc...about $35.

When I opened up the end of my barn last fall to install an overhead door, I would have had to pay for a construction permit, an electrical permit to inspect the GDO wiring, etc.

Several years ago, I added a door and plexiglass windows to my garden shed, there were just openings before. The way the code is writtten, I was ALTERING the building and therefore needed permits and inspections.

STUPID STUPID STUPID. :thumbdown: My township, like others, is simply greedy for revenue.

pollyannasmum

Threads
Thanks for reminding me about the insurance in case he'd injured himself. If I use him again, for any odd jobs, I'll make sure to ask. He's pretty inexpensive so maybe he doesn't have public liability cover.

Madi

Threads
I would not hire someone to do work for me without first seeing proof of competence and proof of insurance, that way it is on them for safety.