Do you need a qualification to operate a chainsaw?

pollyannasmum

Threads
Is anyone allowed to operate a chainsaw or do you need a qualification? I ask because someone came to cut down our overgrown pine bush that had ended up about 15 feet tall and he didn't seem competent with his chainsaw at all. He ended up breaking it by hitting the brick wall around the bottom of the bush!

Last edited:

poncho62

Threads
Unfortunately, anyone can buy a chainsaw, so I guess anyone can use one......If you hired this guy, hopefully he has good insurance....I just wonder what would happen if he got hurt on your property if he didnt?......We need to make sure these people are insured when we hire them....Then, when he chops his leg of, its on him, not us....

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Unfortunately, anyone can buy a chainsaw, so I guess anyone can use one......If you hired this guy, hopefully he has good insurance....I just wonder what would happen if he got hurt on your property if he didnt?......We need to make sure these people are insured when we hire them....Then, when he chops his leg of, its on him, not us....

Well said...anybody who is careless with a chainsaw has no business using one in the first place. A senior editor for our local paper just wrote a story telling where he, an experienced chain saw user (40 years) gashed his leg badly and came within a half inch of cutting something vital that would have made him bleed to death. He said he wrote the column as a reminder and a warning. Hmm, if someone with his experience came so close to death, why do novices think they are automatically immune to harm? :confused2:

jd335

Threads
that is a very good point and very important if you donot have property liebility on your home owners and some gets injured on your property man thats a lawsuit for sure and form the way this guy was using the saw that could have been very bad sometimes we just take things forgrantedd but it's all ways good idea to check the people out that you are gonna have on your place doing work for you i always make sure they are lincense and insured thats a must.

173abn

Threads
I agree Ponch62 maks a very good point.chainsaws are one dangerous machine,they can hurt you in a flash in many differant wood cutting situations. I hope the guy you hired doesn't go to bigger jobs w/o some serious training. russ

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I agree Ponch62 maks a very good point.chainsaws are one dangerous machine,they can hurt you in a flash in many differant wood cutting situations. I hope the guy you hired doesn't go to bigger jobs w/o some serious training. russ

The editor I recently posted about said his saw kicked back and that was why he got injured, he further said his chaps (which he was not wearing) had several scars on them from prior kickbacks....what I cannot understand is this:

If you have a saw kick back on you, 98% of the time you were doing something wrong, either you stuck the nose of the saw in the wrong place or you were using a dull chain, or something got pinched. In my over 20 years if using chain saws, I have NEVER, EVER had one kick back...granted, I use low kickback chains, they do not cut as well as other chains but whats a few seconds more cutting time?

Obviously the editor has been doing something wrong...just my opinion though. :frown:

steved

Threads
Training depends on the "Client"...anyone can buy one, if you actually do commercial work you may need to show you've been "trained" in operation and safety.

Most real tree services are bonded and insured...if they cause damage, they pay for it.

Giles

Threads
Some of the best advise I have ever been given was about the use of a chainsaw.:thumbsup:
Years ago, when I bought my first saw, an old logger gentleman advised me to start using the saw with my left elbow "locked" in the straight-out position. That way the saw is more likely to go up and out away from you during kickback. I know there are some situations that might not allow this but I try to exercise this practice mainly from habbit. I know it has saved me from injury many times:thumbsup:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Very good advice...

The main qualification, is the same one that is needed through life... common sense.
It will tell you there are SOME things you can learn using trial & Error... and there are other things that you can not rely on that learning method... :smile:KennyV

mumptia

Threads
not for personal use in alberta but many companies require a chainsaw safety course before you touch one.