Do you empty your carb when finished?

I have a fuel shutoff on my Cub, during the spring/summer when i mow weekly, i don't bother. But if it gets later in the year (like now) where it may sit at least 2 weeks before leaves need chopped or grass needs cut, i shut it off and run it dry.
 
thanks, im also curious about leaving fuel for long periods in the system. The Skag Tiger Cub i just got has probably 8 plus gallons with both tanks, which would probably last me two seasons(maybe) here in south Texas.
 
Just note that even running the carburetor so called dry still leaves fuel residue in it that can clog jets. Of course less cleaning needed but i have still some that needed cleaning.
 
When I'm done mowing for the season I shut the fuel off and when it starts to run out of gas I pull the choke out it to suck even more gas out of the bowl and haven't have ANY issues.
 
If the engine is gravity flow to the carb, YES. This helps prevent flooding the crankcase with gas due to leaking needle seat when not being used. (and it's also a head up notice that I did use the fuel shutoff petcock.
I use non ethanol gas. I sometimes add little bit of ATF fluid to the gas tank and then run the carb dry or if I forget to run it dry the ATF seems to help prevent corrosion in the carb due to old gas drying out in the bowl. I also use the ATF mix in the old steel gas tanks to reduce them rusting during storage.
I dump the gas in my 2 cycle mix engines and run the engine until it runs out of gas. Main thing is I do not store them inside a building that gets really hot.
I use the Stihl 50:1 mix and never any problems with my stored 2 cycle stuff. Having some oil in the mix is why I also use ATF. (and I always have ATF readily available.
I'm not really impressed with Seafoam. You can make your own seafoam with a computer search for the recipe.
 
Never have run any of my equipment dry. Have a TBC 340 Tanaka trimmer that is 18 years old and never had a problem. I do use pure gas in my two strokes. Dixie Chopper X1901 20 horse Kohler 50 inch deck made in 2000. Not the original engine, came with a 19 hp Kawasaki. Bought it for $300.00 with a blown engine. Awesome little mower.
 
Back
Top