Do these look normal?

Lowfatpuddin

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just did the “tune up kit” to my 2020 super z with the Kawasaki FX1000V with 50 hours. Changed my spark plugs and the original ones look like they’re running rich in my opinion. Pic included. Is this normal for these?

Attachments

• F4DC812F-CD27-4FA1-A28B-DD2DCA59A213.jpeg
    F4DC812F-CD27-4FA1-A28B-DD2DCA59A213.jpeg
    841.1 KB · Views: 45

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Looks like running rich but could also be a too cold of a plug.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Because the porcelain is black but the tip is grey, I’d be checking to see as IL said too cold of a plug.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Do you run the throttle wide open all the time? Are you running RC12YC or equvalent plug? If so i would try RC14YC plugs ans see how they look.

Born2Mow

Threads
You can't simply take a plug out, look at it, and be able to tell anything definite. You'd need to run the engine for several minutes in its normal RPM range with new fuel and then suddenly kill it. The plugs look sooty, but that could be from idling for 15 seconds before they were pulled, or maybe the engine was stopped with the choke. Who knows ?

Plug reading is a results-based test. In order to "read" them correctly you first have to know what the engine was doing in the seconds just before. That's why some people call this a "plug chop". It's actually a "snap shot" of that specific RPM range.

You are showing us 2 plugs without the history. Therefore those plugs tell us absolutely nothing.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Maybe you can’t make a definitive answer when trying to diagnose a problem when looking at a spark plug, but an experienced mechanic can use it as part of their troubleshooting procedure. To you those plugs may mean nothing, but to me they give me answers to the question of where I should start with my troubleshooting of the problem. In this case experience may mean more than theory, to answ the question.

Born2Mow

Threads
And if an answer isn't "definitive" then I hold it's not really an answer.

The OP wants an definitive answer. All I'm saying is he hasn't given us enough information to reach any such answer. More information is needed.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Most folks misdiagnose engine issues looking at spark plugs. Spark plugs need to operate in the self cleaning temperature range which is about 950F to 1450F. Below that spark plugs will carbon foul. Every time the engine is started and until the plug reaches the self cleaning temperature it will accumulate carbon deposits. Idleing, light load and operating at less than full throttle can cause engine not to reach that temperature. Many folks look at plugs and assume the engine is running rich when in fact the engine mixture is fine and the engine is just not operating hot enough. Cars have well regulated cooling systems air cooled OPE engines don't and most are designed to not overheat running at full load in the middle of summer. Operating at a light load in cool weather may not get the plugs up to the proper temperature and they will carbon foul. "Reading" plugs takes some pracrice. It takes many hours of run time to get a good plug to read. Deposits don't change in seconds.

Convert

Threads
You need to do a plug check,

The way its done with motorcycle engines is this

Run the engine under load with the engine you have that is this ;

Wide open cutting the grass etc. and with out bringing the engine to idle (keep wide open ) turn the ignition off then check the color of the plugs.

Then make your decisions based on the color of the plugs.

There are plenty of plug charts on line to help you out

Convert

Tom B

Last edited:

VRR.DYNDNS>BIZ

Threads
You can't simply take a plug out, look at it, and be able to tell anything definite. You'd need to run the engine for several minutes in its normal RPM range with new fuel and then suddenly kill it. The plugs look sooty, but that could be from idling for 15 seconds before they were pulled, or maybe the engine was stopped with the choke. Who knows ?

Plug reading is a results-based test. In order to "read" them correctly you first have to know what the engine was doing in the seconds just before. That's why some people call this a "plug chop". It's actually a "snap shot" of that specific RPM range.

You are showing us 2 plugs without the history. Therefore those plugs tell us absolutely nothing.
I agree but also agree with prior comment that RC14yc is better. We see that as almost a normal change on so many units, it becomes habit. These are not a full heat range hotter, only a half or 3/4 step up.