Do mower manufacturers modify the engines they use?

Oddball

Threads
I've seen it in threads here and other forums. Someone will say, "Don't buy that mower from HD or Lowes, etc. The engine on that unit doesn't have the same doohickie that it does if you buy it from a serviceing dealer." Yet the model number of the engine used is the same in both instances. So, did the mower manufacturer specify a modification, or make a mod themselves, to the engine on the unit sold at the box store? If so, why would the manufacturer give it the same model designation? In other words, for example, shouldn't a Honda GCV160 be the same regardless of what brand mower its on or where its sold? Same for B&S and Kohler engines.

Grass ala Mowed

Threads
I've never looked at the whole model number; is it the same? Chevy sells a lot of cars called Impala, but there is a lot of difference between an Impala LS and and Impala SS. I have seen where some features, like the low lube oil shutdown was on the higher priced model but not the big box store model. In the case of the John Deere Sabre line, it was pretty obvious, but that was the whole tractor. I have a Honda GCV160 on my power washer and always check the oil before use so the lack of shutdown is not an issue. It is a cold blooded (lean running) SOB though and will not allow me to wash without stalling until it is thoroughly warmed up, ~ 5 minutes.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The model number may be the same but have a different type/ trim on a briggs or a different spec number on a kohler. Any modification by a OEM that involves changing the air intake, carb, spark plug, ignition, or muffler requires recertification by the EPA. from a dealer stand point I think sometimes that production parts are slightly different than replacement dealer parts. I have been told that a mower manufacturer can go to kohler and say I need an with this horsepower, this crankshaft, this air filter, among other things and they will build it to there specifications. the manufacturer may only order 5 engines and they will be assigned there own spec number which is why it so important that people give dealers correct model, spec, and serial number for kohler, and model type and code for briggs, and and every number you can find on a honda.

Parkmower

Threads
Noticed something the other day. I was in home depot for something and stopped to look at the mowers. Opened the hood on a JD and there was a sticker saying this unit was professionally prepared by our local JD dealer.
I always thought they cane ready to go out the crate.

jimrs

Threads
Noticed something the other day. I was in home depot for something and stopped to look at the mowers. Opened the hood on a JD and there was a sticker saying this unit was professionally prepared by our local JD dealer.
I always thought they cane ready to go out the crate.

When Home Depot first started selling the JD line the local JD dealer had a truck in the Depot's parking lot setting up JD products. There are a few things to do after taking them out of the box. JD company supplied the mowers thru the JD local dealer to HD. I don't know if its like cars and the dealer get a better price on the number of cars he buys but if it is then the JD dealer is making money on each JD sold by HD.