do I rebuild or replace my b&s 24hp intek motor?

Elkins45

Threads
I’m looking forward to seeing pictures once OP gets it opened up.

alvinjohn62

Threads
I'm up now and heading out to the carport, got my coffee and my vest on, I'll have pictures by tonight the latest or maybe in a few hours depending on life.
5:22 am

alvinjohn62

Threads
Sorry for the delay everyone, life got in my way, and the weather too.
Might be Saturday I can proceed with my taking off the pulleys from underneath.
I think I can handle the 46° or wait for later in the day.
I got the deck out already, as well as wires, fuel hose and throttle cable.
Still thinking of putting back the blower housing as I will need to flip over the motor.
Or figuring out ways to set the motor upside down on blocks.

Elkins45

Threads
Sorry for the delay everyone, life got in my way, and the weather too.
Might be Saturday I can proceed with my taking off the pulleys from underneath.
I think I can handle the 46° or wait for later in the day.
I got the deck out already, as well as wires, fuel hose and throttle cable.
Still thinking of putting back the blower housing as I will need to flip over the motor.
Or figuring out ways to set the motor upside down on blocks.
No need to replace the housing, it can set on the flywheel. Just watch out for the dipstick tube. I made a 2x4 frame so I could set mine up or down and not have to worry about the crankshaft or dipstick tube.

Putting the screw that holds the dipstick tube just far enough under the flywheel you can’t access it was a really dumb design choice.

alvinjohn62

Threads
Ok Thanks for the info.
I will have my blocks ready.
Maybe my scooter repair blocks will work, it is a 7,9,11 block of wood that has a hallow center when set on 7 inch height.
Thanks again and I'm off to my day job now.

Elkins45

Threads
Ok Thanks for the info.
I will have my blocks ready.
Maybe my scooter repair blocks will work, it is a 7,9,11 block of wood that has a hallow center when set on 7 inch height.
Thanks again and I'm off to my day job now.
When you get the sump cover off there are two locator pins. Be careful if one or both stick in the sump cover because it’s very easy to lose them. I know because I lost one when I was replacing my gasket and had to manufacture a replacement before I put it back together. I doubt it really matters in the case of your particular engine, but who knows?

Elkins45

Threads
I keep hoping for an update on this. I want to see what the inside looks like.

alvinjohn62

Threads
i’m sorry for the delay, I promise to update soon as possible. Things are just not going in my favor. But it is also giving me more at home time so maybe in a week or two I can get back to it.

alvinjohn62

Threads
I finally got to open the motor. So the connecting rod is broken and the piece that is still attached to the piston is wedged against the camshaft.

So now the hard decision is to buy a new motor or a new mower.

Got pictures but still figuring out how to reduce the file size as it is too large.

Elkins45

Threads
If your deck and transmission are still in good shape it makes sense to replace the engine. Even if you only get a few more years out of them that gives you a newish engine to swap into a cheap used mower. There’s almost always a decent mower with a blown engine available for next to nothing on Craigslist or FB.