DMM ... A BASIC TOOL YOU NEED

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Many times on this site , I've seen members / visitors asking for help concerning an electrical issue /starting problem , but they cannot supply the informatin that is needed for electrical diagnosis.
I can see no reason ........ ( at some very cheap prices ) someone cannot have this basic tool . I've included a few examples and a brief tutorial on this essential item.

https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/how-to-use-a-multimeter

Sears.com

Sears.com

MEter 1.jpg

If someone knows how to copy this post into each engine forum OR its proper forum PLEASE do so .... might make life a little easier for all members/visitors, Thanks .... Boobala

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Many times on this site , I've seen members / visitors asking for help concerning an electrical issue /starting problem , but they cannot supply the informatin that is needed for electrical diagnosis.
I can see no reason ........ ( at some very cheap prices ) someone cannot have this basic tool . I've included a few examples and a brief tutorial on this essential item.

https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/how-to-use-a-multimeter

Sears.com

Sears.com

View attachment 25782

If someone knows how to copy this post into each engine forum OR its proper forum PLEASE do so .... might make life a little easier for all members/visitors, Thanks .... Boobala

Just to be the Devils advocate,
I find getting some one who is not familiar with DMM's to give me any meaning full information next to impossible.
Numbers get people very confused and in most cases are totally insignificant the exception being alternator out put testing.
In reallity a simple test lamp works better and is less confusing because in most cases we simply need to know if there is continuity or voltage and both can be done better with a piece of wire a globe & a clip.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks Boobala

I've known licensed electricians that wouldn't touch DC systems because they didn't understand them.:laughing:

Another thing I've found is poor instruction being conveyed from those that can do to those that can't do and don't understand. An example is: On the meter there are 2 leads but those that don't understand need to know EXACTLY where to place those 2 leads and that information is often lacking.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just to be the Devils advocate, I find getting some one who is not familiar with DMM's to give me any meaning full information next to impossible. Numbers get people very confused and in most cases are totally insignificant the exception being alternator out put testing. In reallity a simple test lamp works better and is less confusing because in most cases we simply need to know if there is continuity or voltage and both can be done better with a piece of wire a globe & a clip.

I agree with you.
A simple test light works just fine.

I see it a lot on here. Complicating testing safety switches. It is not that complicated of a system.

People that come here asking for help. Want to hear from someone like them that has done it.
They don't want to go out and buy special tools they will never need again. Because there really is no special tool that you need.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I agree with you.
A simple test light works just fine.

I see it a lot on here. Complicating testing safety switches. It is not that complicated of a system.

People that come here asking for help. Want to hear from someone like them that has done it.
They don't want to go out and buy special tools they will never need again. Because there really is no special tool that you need.

Not quite right.
My take out electrical tools consist of a colortune, in line spark tester, test lamp , analog volt meter ( old car tune up dwell meter ) and a hand full of jumpers with a variety of terminals on them.
I used to have a 2" DVM which was handy as it sat in the tool box but no clip means you need 4 hands to use it and being auto ranging it jumped all over the place making it difficult to use.
While cleaning out some shelves to make room for another truck load of close down stock I cam across it & was going to toss it out.
Then when the Gremlins had hidden th big DVM I grabbed it and found it worked a whole lot better so now when I am at trash treasure sales I keep an eye out for old analogue meters.

Just done a big job on a JD LT155 which caused me to buy the manual.
In their 498 pages they never give a number, except for testing the current draw of the starter and output of the generator.
All the other tests which we do daily simply say "Continuity" or " Battery Voltage".
Numbers just confuse people.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Good on 'ya boobala for suggesting. My take on this forum is that is "can be" educational for some so why not expose people to new ideas. Even if only 10% benefit it is worthwhile.

A major barrier is the language used in electronics. To me it is like the "latin" used by lawyers which scares people into spending $millions they could have saved if they just had the English translation and the system was not rigged so much (no , I do not want to eliminate the law, and there are some fine lawyers:laughing:) BUT, in electronics, the "strange" language is necessary . Yep OHMS LAW.. You have probably seen it expressed many time in little formulas. If you have not tuned out yet read on.

The face of the DMM (digital multi meter) also known as the DVM (digital volt meter) and its sister the "analog meter" is plastered with candy store variety of abbreviations and options you can select in your troubleshooting. Anyone interested enough to pursue more information should consult any beginning "electronics for dummies" book (no offense) or tutorials on line. I have looked at them and interested parties CAN learn this stuff. Test lights are good, but you will be greatly satisfied if you spend some time on DC (direct current ) theory. Usually there are simple test questions to help you . Armed with your newly acquired test meter you will be an ELECTRONICS WARRIOR next time your lawn mower needs help. Stop being put off when people say "voltage," "current," "resistance," (as in corrosion). These words will help , not confuse you!!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not argueing with you as such,
But how many times do you see things here like I only have 11.62 V at the solenoid or the coil resistance is 6.375 Ω and the book says it should be 6.2 Ω.
For people who know it is not a problem but for a lot of others they just can;t get their head around that it could be any where between 5 Ω & 7 Ω and the fact that they are doing the reading through a rusty contact which might alter the numerical value takes a lot of explaining.
These are lawn mowers not space shuttles so a simple globe, light on = good, light off = bad is some thing most can grasp.
Explaining why the solenoid trigger has 10.72 V but still works when it should be 12 just makes a confused owner even more confused.
Remember the KISS principle.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I find the only problem with a test light is most will light at 8 volts , some even less, at least a DMM will read the true voltage of the battery ...... knowing I have a GOOD battery saves a lot of headaches. If I have suspected wiring or switch promblems I " jumper " right from the battery to the starter , of course thats AFTER checking oil, fuel and spark plug for spark . My DMM has a continuity beeper ( very handy ) and has been really helpful in many cases especially when checking a wire end to end ( can't do that with a test light unless you have voltage present ) . But I'm not here to "try" anybodys knowledge or skills ......... I simply want to help others ..... AND ESPECIALLY ..... the MEMBERS OF THIS SITE , who are trying to help all those that are seeking answers.
The tutorial in my original post covers the basic operation of a DMM , BUT then it does start getting into the "SCARY " part for most novices Actually .... voltage & continuity are about all I use that meter for , come to think of it !! Anyway ...... GENTLE - men ..... ya'll have a FANTASTIC day ...... Boobala .......:2cents:

By the way folks , check the prices on those DMM's in my original post , so ya do without a few beers , better to have the tool and not need it , than sit there wishing you DID have it , it's NOT a bank breaker and most people can get one easily .

Last edited:

Mike88se

Threads
I've never used one in small engine repair but I own two. Very handy for auto repair and home wiring work. Would love to own a Fluke but I can't justify the expense :thumbsup:
Trying to track down a parasitic draw on my truck when I have a spare moment. DVOM is definitely a handy tool.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
When I am trouble shooting a electrical problem the very first thing I use is a test light. I say always start on the small fast things first. Then if I have get any deeper into the repairs I bring out the DVM and a wiring diagram. A test light and DVM both has its place and don't under estimate what you can do with a test light.