DIY robot lawn mower

mois25

Threads
Call it what you may but I suppose even BIY (Built It Yourself) still describes it but is it true that one can actually design a robot lawn mower? How will one be able to choose what to use for the sensors, wheels and so forth?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
You could use any wheels that worked within your design...
as to sensors... electronics is all about accuracy and sensors of all types are off the shelf ready ... as they say no need to re-invent the wheel, there is a lot of robotic kits already on the market... adapt them to your needs.

If you are thinking of doing this from a fun to do electronics hobby ... that is ok...
But if you are thinking you will save money over the existing robotic mowers, you will have to get very lucky to not waste a lot of development dollar$ starting from scratch.

It would be easier to make a mower remote controlled... fully robotic, rather costly to finally get it right... for that I would stick with what is already developed... :smile:KennyV

AndyMan

Threads
if you are thinking you will save money over the existing robotic mowers

Are there really "existing robotic mowers"? How do they work? Are they safe? Who makes them? Do they sell them to regular people? What would you use one for?

touree

Threads
That is the same thought I did have AndyMan but from what I have gathered, they are mostly designed as a research subject. I am not sure if they have already made an impact economically.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Are there really "existing robotic mowers"? How do they work? Are they safe? Who makes them? Do they sell them to regular people? What would you use one for?

Don't know if I am regular or even normal at times... but they sold me one... so I guess they might...:wink:
Totally safe, as a matter of fact you could not have an accident with them...
Only short coming is the size of your lawn... as you get over 10 to 15 thousand square feet it would be hard pressed to keep up in the fast spring growth...
They are completely quiet, will mow anytime day or night (do not need light) and will keep your lawn clipped continually... There are others but this is the one I got for my brother in Topeka, and is now mowing my sister's lawn in Phoenix ... Watch this video.
Lawn Mower That Mows the Lawn for you ? Compare Lawnmower Models Provided by Robomow
Simple to set up... :smile:KennyV

lizard

Threads
Some low life would steal it..........we use to have tractor sprinklers.......but they went out because people would steal them.
So if you are considerating buying one.........make sure you have it fully insured!:eek:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
We have thieves here also ... but insurance is not the answer... If you are in a uncontrolled 'high crime' area your insurance premium will be higher than the loss risk. (technology today will help you eliminate the less educated criminal)

How you deal with thieves and how you track and trace your property will have more effect on the devious part of your community... :smile:KennyV

lizard

Threads
We have thieves here also ... but insurance is not the answer... If you are in a uncontrolled 'high crime' area your insurance premium will be higher than the loss risk. (technology today will help you eliminate the less educated criminal)

How you deal with thieves and how you track and trace your property will have more effect on the devious part of your community... :smile:KennyV

When I am mowing....90% of people are not home.......people are working to pay off their 500,00.00 Mortgages........so in the outer suburbs........plenty of theft.:eek:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
There are ways to reduce your exposure ... and ways to increase the criminals exposure... :smile:KennyV

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
I appreciate the link, KennyV -- that's a cool gadget.

The key to securing a RoboMo would be to toughen it up a bit. Add a chainsaw feature -- plus a machete or two.:thumbsup: Make it really scary so the thieves will not only leave it alone but will steer clear of your yard. But do keep an attorney on retainer.