DIY:K thermocouples tell engine temperature

With regard to the danger of the texting-like distraction of reading a digital thermometer while mowing ... I always pull over and stop before reading the temperature to avoid the dangers of taking my eyes off the grass flashing by at 2 mph. :smile:
 
With regard to the danger of the texting-like distraction of reading a digital thermometer while mowing ... I always pull over and stop before reading the temperature to avoid the dangers of taking my eyes off the grass flashing by at 2 mph. :smile:

How often does the temperature go above the "safety limit"? Have you checked if engine RPM is tuned too high?
 
I am slowly reading the data online and believe the eureka moment is near at hand. By that I mean a figure of 392F is appearing as the "Creep" point (no joke as you engineer types know). Aluminum castings ( I looked at casting alloy A 242) begin to stretch , distort and crack. Poor little tractor must have seen that temp a lot. That's why I'm interested in the K thermocouple. If the sump oil was really at 300 F, can 392 F in the head be far away? Is that the dirty little secret an average consumer cannot know? If so, you the consumer are walking a very narrow reliability path.

OK I put on my armor. Let's hear it. :laughing:
 
I have not felt the slings and arrows so I will advise that (some of) you may continue to pursue this tractor babble in threads coming soon to your area..."HOT HEADS CAUSE TROUBLE-KNOW WHEN TO COOL IT: K thermocouple DIY" and perhaps...." A/C OIL SUMP-COOL POOL OR FRENCH FRY COOKER: K thermocouple DIY" :cool:
 
How often does the temperature go above the "safety limit"? Have you checked if engine RPM is tuned too high?
Panabiker, I noticed I really did not fully answer your questions. I won't know how often I exceed (let's say 350F) until I get my readings in the hotter weather. I believe the Intek is running at spec of(?3000 RPM) . I reassembled it twice with no mod to the governor and it seems to run at the same
surface speed. motoman
 
Back
Top