Dixon ZTR 3014

weekender

Forum Newbie
Threads
My discups have chunks missing in the ceramic like lining and its weak on one side. So, I ordered new discups ( The cones looked ok to my untrained eye, silo I didnt order them ). The new discups have no ceramic like lining, they are machined metal. It seems that metal on metal would be bad. What am I missing here?

junkman54

Forum Newbie
Threads
My discups have chunks missing in the ceramic like lining and its weak on one side. So, I ordered new discups ( The cones looked ok to my untrained eye, silo I didnt order them ). The new discups have no ceramic like lining, they are machined metal. It seems that metal on metal would be bad. What am I missing here?

Hello Weekender, originally the transaxles all had fibre drive cones and metal discups. With some of the later transaxles (both new and remaned) the drive cones were steel and the discups were fibre lined. This seemed to come about with the Z-Drive (shudder). My dealer told me he cannot buy the steel cones or the lined discups. Why? Who knows? I sometimes only have questions. I would not put the two steel components together; sorry, but it looks like you will need to buy the fibre drive cones as well.

weekender

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thinks, I was afraid that would be the case, have to check to see which cones to order. The web site I got the cups from didn't mention that, sure would have been nice to know. Another site says their cones will replace only the ones with nuts and not the cones held in with roll pins; I'll have to check on that too. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

junkman54

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thinks, I was afraid that would be the case, have to check to see which cones to order. The web site I got the cups from didn't mention that, sure would have been nice to know. Another site says their cones will replace only the ones with nuts and not the cones held in with roll pins; I'll have to check on that too. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Yeah, the early transaxle components, cones, sprokets, discups and such were held to shafts with roll pins. Someone figured out that it was better to key the components to the shafts and hold it all tight with a nut. It proved easier to repair the transaxle as well. Your machine should be held together with the nuts

I have been a Dixon owner (and fan) since 1985 when I bought my first machine. My local dealer took me under his wing (had to to get rid of me) and taught me how to adjust the transaxle and I have taught others how to as well. I like the "classic" axle, but not the Z-Drive. I have worked on them but my dealer almost refuses to. They are not easy to adjust and will eat up tremendous amounts of time. I am in the Paducah area alltough I know that is a long way to drive for help.

By the way, I am looking for a very early Dixon; the older the better.

junkman54

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yeah, the early transaxle components, cones, sprokets, discups and such were held to shafts with roll pins. Someone figured out that it was better to key the components to the shafts and hold it all tight with a nut. It proved easier to repair the transaxle as well. Your machine should be held together with the nuts

I have been a Dixon owner (and fan) since 1985 when I bought my first machine. My local dealer took me under his wing (had to to get rid of me) and taught me how to adjust the transaxle and I have taught others how to as well. I like the "classic" axle, but not the Z-Drive. I have worked on them but my dealer almost refuses to. They are not easy to adjust and will eat up tremendous amounts of time. I am in the Paducah area alltough I know that is a long way to drive for help.

By the way, I am looking for a very early Dixon; the older the better.

Just to let Weekender know- I have a VHS video from Dixon that shows R&R of the Z-Drive. Also have some pages from a manual on adjusting the transaxle. Let me know if I can help.

Junkman.

weekender

Forum Newbie
Threads
That would be great. Let me know what I owe you and I can give my address. I got my mower off Craigslist last year for $300 and it came with a repair manual for the trans axel. I ordered two disc cups, two cones with jigs to align and one chain.

brodave

Threads
Just to let Weekender know- I have a VHS video from Dixon that shows R&R of the Z-Drive. Also have some pages from a manual on adjusting the transaxle. Let me know if I can help.

Junkman.

Saw your message on dixon 3014. I have 2 early 30inch Dixons to give away. I realize the didtance problem, but thought I'd mention it anyway. You can reach me at 409 382 9309--brodave

weekender

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, it'd be nice. But, you're over 13 hours away, Junkman is closer thou.

brodave

Threads

Junkman.

Would be most happy to pay you for copy of video and pages you mentioned. contact me at 409 382 9309 or I'll call you. Sure would help me. I mentioned the two old 30inch dixons if you would like them for free--brodave

kunzmower

Forum Newbie
Threads
The 3014 did not come with the steel cones , so some one replaced the the drive with the newer style or as dixon called them a tarps , they are better but you will need to
call and get the part # for the discup with the liner in it , look up husqvarna phone give them a call