Dixon 4518 info

clodizzle

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi guys,
I'm new to the forum. I recently started a small 10 yard lawn care business for extra cash on the side. I do this part time. I started with a Craftsman professional walk behind with a welded deck and 12.5 hp b&s. This was easily getting the job done and doing it really easy but I got tired of walking, and I'm too tall for sulkies.

I went on a limb and bought a dixon 4518 for $400 and had to replace all bearings on the deck, change stator coil cuz battery wouldn't hold charge, and sharpen blades. Ever since then it seems to be running great. Mowed for about 3 hours with it and no problems. I was wondering if anyone had any information on this model? Anyone know of any of these that are still running? How long will this kholer commander pro 18 hp engine last? Any information on this model will be appreciated.

Thanks

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi guys,
I'm new to the forum. I recently started a small 10 yard lawn care business for extra cash on the side. I do this part time. I started with a Craftsman professional walk behind with a welded deck and 12.5 hp b&s. This was easily getting the job done and doing it really easy but I got tired of walking, and I'm too tall for sulkies.

I went on a limb and bought a dixon 4518 for $400 and had to replace all bearings on the deck, change stator coil cuz battery wouldn't hold charge, and sharpen blades. Ever since then it seems to be running great. Mowed for about 3 hours with it and no problems. I was wondering if anyone had any information on this model? Anyone know of any of these that are still running? How long will this kholer commander pro 18 hp engine last? Any information on this model will be appreciated.

Thanks

I almost bought a Dixon DX100 Commercial ZTR myself last fall, but got a better deal on my Gravely. That ZTR you have is a fine machine and if you get it back in mint condition will probably last you a lot longer than a lot of the newer Residential ZTR's. Yours was built by Dixon "before" they were bought out by Husqvarna and although they are still a fine machine, they were built much better back when yours was made. Is yours the 42" deck or the 50" deck?? Below is a link to the manual for that ZTR on the Dixon website, if you need that. I would recommend oil & filter changes at least every 50 hours(maybe even 25 on an older engine like yours) to ensure the Kohler will last(the manual may say every 100 hours but it would be a wise investment to spend a little more to change it more frequently). Unlike the recent problems with the Courage engines I think the Commanders were probably very good engines and if maintained should last you. I think you got a very good deal on that mower and hope it does you well!!

http://www.dixon-ztr.com/ddoc/DIXO/DIXO2003_USen/DIXO2003_USen_4518K_.pdf