Discharge or mulch?

Threads
Up until now we had been using two Toro Timemaster walk-behinds to cut all of our yards. We have only mulched with them so far. Well I just bought a ztr and had the mulch kit put on it. I was almost ready to return the thing one it's firs day because it seemed to be cutting so poorly.

Well a while into my day I came to the conclusion that I was just cutting grass that was way too thick, way too low. That along with the fact that the grass had nowhere to go creates a problem I assume.

Then throughout the day, every lawn care guy I saw was using the side discharge on their ztr. Which is more common. I'm going to start with raising my deck level but want to know whether to keep the mulch kit on. About half of my yards get really thick and the other half are not bad.

I also noticed that 2" on the ztr does not equal 2" on the walk behind. Because it's heavier and I'm weighing it down I assume? I'm going to have to do yards that I previously did at 2" on 2.5 from now on.

Threads
You will find most zero-turns will not mulch as good as a Honda or Toro "push" mower. I don't like side discharge because it can still clump and you can only go one direction around flower beds. I would raise the cutting height, try to mulch, and see if that helps, If it doesn't, you might have to discharge. A lot of the pros in our area bag. I mulch, but I use 21" Honda's.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Up until now we had been using two Toro Timemaster walk-behinds to cut all of our yards. We have only mulched with them so far. Well I just bought a ztr and had the mulch kit put on it. I was almost ready to return the thing one it's firs day because it seemed to be cutting so poorly.

Well a while into my day I came to the conclusion that I was just cutting grass that was way too thick, way too low. That along with the fact that the grass had nowhere to go creates a problem I assume.

Then throughout the day, every lawn care guy I saw was using the side discharge on their ztr. Which is more common. I'm going to start with raising my deck level but want to know whether to keep the mulch kit on. About half of my yards get really thick and the other half are not bad.

I also noticed that 2" on the ztr does not equal 2" on the walk behind. Because it's heavier and I'm weighing it down I assume? I'm going to have to do yards that I previously did at 2" on 2.5 from now on.

Can I ask what you prchased for a ZTR? The next question I'd ask is what type of blades you are running? You very seldom find that Height settings between a push mower and a Ztr will match up, in some cases you can come real close if the mowers are of the same make. You'll also find that most of the lawn care guys will use the side discharge and use a set of Gator blades and they generally if they know what there doing do not remove anymore than 2 inches of grass at a time.

Threads
Can I ask what you prchased for a ZTR?

He got a Gravely ZT 34.

16013d1374798951-need-somethimg-get-me-through-next-few-years-gravely-jpg

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes. And I'm not exactly sure about the blades. Whatever blades the dealer put on as part of the mulch kit.

Well if your not happy with the kit they installed and isn't doing the job and from what your saying it apparently isn't, I'd take the mower back and tell them to remove the thing and get my money back. You may want to try a set of the Gator Blades first and see if they help or not it's up to you.
You can do what you want but I can tell you both of my CC Z Force mowers 44" & 48" cut a lot better with the Gator Blades and both my Toro Mowers came with Gator Blades installed and I've never had a problem with cut on any.

Is this what they installed

Threads
Pretty similar. Looks like just one side piece and the blades.

View attachment 16039

View attachment 16038

It looks like you need to clean the underside of the mower deck! But if you continue to mow tall grass it will get clogged up again so you might want to try some mower non-stick spray. Just make sure the mower is cool when you spray it on, and DON'T get it on the belts. And if grass still sticks after 2 coats, it will make it easier to clean the grass off.

Clean Machine Non-Stick Mower Protectant at Good Vibrations lawn mower accessories

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I could be wrong but the blades do not look like mulching blades to me.

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))