Disassembly procedures for the Snapper 28" RER mower ?????

primodude

Threads
  • / Disassembly procedures for the Snapper 28" RER mower ?????
I have to replace the deck on this one, and I have examined this assembly over the last few days.. From what I can determine, there are two hangers hooking the front wheels and deck assembly to the rard seat and motor drive and wheels. There is a round tube that is on a keyed attachment from the front steering and wheel assembly that is attached under the seat, and on the plate for the rear assembly.
So far, I can see that these three attachments need to be unhooked and then the front will rotate to allow the removal of the blade rotation drive assembly. So far, also I am pretty dumb about the Snapper mower, so I need someone with some experience to put me on a fixed course of disassembly and replacement of the mower deck.
The serial number is 11000319
and the model number is M-281021BE.

I have a older parts manual on its way, but is there another available for the shop mechanics for repairs?? All Help here is very much appreciated.
Cheers...
Primodude

Cannon51

Threads
The deck should be supported by chains in the back and a long pin in the front. Remove the belt cover from the deck and remove the belt. You will probably need to loosen some keepers at the idler and spindle. Disconnect the chains from the rear lift arms and drive the long pin out of the front lift-support arms. I think there may be an electrical wire that has to be disconnected. I think I remembered everything but I am old.
Cannon

primodude

Threads
Both of you gentlemen are invaluable.. This pretty much coincides with my own appraisal of what I will have to do.. I think there are 3 or 4 bolts either side on the surface, as well as 3 bolts on the spindles underside to remove. I found I have to lower the entire deck with the deck adjustment lever to get the top plastic cover to the deck off after 4 bolts removed from it. Looks like about a 4 -8 hour day replacement job.
This old deck is really beat, bent and battered and rusted out. Phhhhtttooooeeee.
And so it goes....grass is growing... :)
Thanks again.
PrimoDude

primodude

Threads
The deck should be supported by chains in the back and a long pin in the front. Remove the belt cover from the deck and remove the belt. You will probably need to loosen some keepers at the idler and spindle. Disconnect the chains from the rear lift arms and drive the long pin out of the front lift-support arms. I think there may be an electrical wire that has to be disconnected. I think I remembered everything but I am old.
Cannon

Cannon, here is the scoop on what I have found.. and your information was almost 100% With this exception.. All I had to do was loosen the round bar under the seat that fastens the front section to the rear seat and motor assembly. And unhook the two side chain supports. Then the fun begins.. after removing the spindle and belt cover (4 bolts) I found I also had to remove the blade brake assembly. This is to allow a better shot at removing the spindle mounting bolts. (3 bolts through the deck). I also had to remove the switch and mounting plate on the deck top surface, as well as the blade starting lever and mounting plate mounted on the deck top surface. (several bolts here.. :)_). Oh.. all the bolts are badly rusted so imagine here a bit. :)
Now the deck is free with the exception of the actual spindle.. Here is the tough part.
I had a friend hold a wood blocking for pipe wrench holding the nut on the bottom of the spindle shaft and the horizontal blade bar or plate where the blade mounts to the spindle. With that firmly held, I was able to remove the top nut above the large belt pulley on the spindle top, and remove the pulley itself. Hurrah...
With the help of several wrenches, and socket sets, I was able to break loose the three bolts holding the spindles round mounting plate to the deck under the deck itself. Hurrah again, Badly rusted.

Ok... so far so good. Now, I found I had two clip rings around the lower part of the spindle above the deck surface.. Whoooeeeeeee. Once I had the upper clip removed (you need a special ring clip tool here) the plate holding the belt pulleys came up and off.. Whooopee again. Oooops.. .here is another ring clip..and this one is the one that holds the spindle itself.. These are a struggle to get loose and slipped up off the top of the spindle. Best to put a support underneath to hold the spindle up under the deck while removing these spring clips.

Suddenly.. here I am.. the spindle fell out of the deck and I was able to pull the deck free of the mower..... PS here, while from start to finish put your removed parts and nuts/bolts etc in a safe place in order. for future reassembly.

Now I have the spindle itself to examine, and its going to be a toss.. ordering a new spindle today. Who ever owned this mower badly abused it, hitting concrete or big butt rocks. The spindles mounting plate was cracked and badly bent at one time. The spindle would mount cockeyed to the deck itself.. That, IMHO, is a No No. Also the mounting plate for the blade itself was bent and the blade would thus cut a wiggle wobble path thru the grass.

Give me time, and this mower will be useable again, nearly good as the new $1599.00 original price.. Big smile here.. What price is satisfaction of a job well done???
Next post will be the reinstallation of the new parts.. I have the new 28" deck/bolts and nuts.. onward and upward.
"PrimoDude"