Dipstick Oil Tube Leak at O-Ring

I have a Briggs and Stratton engine on my Toro riding mower.

For many years I have had an oil leak around the o-ring where the plastic dipstick tube goes into the engine.

Initially, I tried replacing the o-ring with a new one. That didn't help.

Then someone told me to put 2 o-rings there. That didn't help.

The block area where the tube fits in looks good and the tube screws down securely at the top of the engine.

I wonder if anyone else knows what I might try next?

Thank you.
 
My 1992 Craftsman push mower used to leak about 5 years ago. I just took the dipstick tube to my local NAPA shop. Found an o ring that fit, but was a little thicker. Had the use a screwdriver to push the o ring down in, but it hasn't leaked since...

L8R,
Matt
 
My 1992 Craftsman push mower used to leak about 5 years ago. I just took the dipstick tube to my local NAPA shop. Found an o ring that fit, but was a little thicker. Had the use a screwdriver to push the o ring down in, but it hasn't leaked since...

L8R,
Matt



That sounds good to me, thank you!
 
Personally I would try replacing the dipstick tube grommet
B & S part No 281370 or 68838.
A standard tune up item for replacement every 10 years or so.
It actually screws in
 
I should have stated that my mower has a 3.5hp Tecumseh on it. But still has the dip stick tube pushed into the engine and bolted to the engine shroud.

L8R,
Matt
 
Thanks for all of the responses!

That sounds right Bertsmoblile1, I'll try the grommet next. I'm starting to notice a pattern here. :smile: Hopefully, you will be around when I get time to snap a picture of my gear box and start a new thread trying to understand it better. My mower deck and chassis is made of a heavy gauge steel and I think I can make it outlast me, except I'm not sure what my options are for this 30 year old gear box if it ever needs repaired or replaced, it occurs to me to that I have never performed any maintenance on it--I think this gear box could possibly be the only thing that will take my old mower down even though it is already 30 years old. Thanks again very much!!


PS When I was mowing again yesterday I was hyper-sensitive to the feel of the clutch and I realized that there is a slight jerk when I put it in gear. After working with you on the other thread I think I know now that is my belt which has stretched and is heading for replacement.
 
I had one for a customer I couldn't find a grommet for. I cleaned and dried it real well. Repaired it with RTV which has been several years now and it has never leaked a drop since. The very key words here are clean and dry. Let the RTV dry over night before using.
 
Back
Top