Diminishing spark Tecumseh H50-65410L

skidude17

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought a 1970's Roto-Hoe tiller a couple months ago for $20. image.jpgThe previous owner said it had been sitting outside for 2 years, so I figured it needed some work. I pulled the flywheel off to get a look at the ignition components, and the condenser was smashed, so I changed it. No spark. image.jpg The condenser I bought came with a set of points, so I changed them too. Gapped to .022" and still no spark. I changed the coil, and still no spark. After all this, I pulled off the internal magneto, and sanded the contact points to make sure I was getting a good ground. I finally got some spark, but it diminished little by little after about 10-15 pulls. Now I'm back to no spark. I did the screwdriver test on the flywheel magnets, and they seem to be strong. I pulled the magneto off again to sand the contact points, and nothing. I don't know what to do next. Please help.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Try and find an engine number so those in the trade can check the service specifications against your figures.
Check the resistance of the coil.
There is 2 coils in that pack, a primary coil to earth ans a secondary spark plug to earth.
You will need to remove it to get good readings.
Also check the spark plug wire itself as it can develope fractures in the wire.
It may simply undo at the coil end or might be held in with potting mix.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Did you reset the ignition timing after you replaced the points and condenser? If not that could be your problem. This is a common mistake by those who have not worked on Tecumseh engines. Probably the most difficult to set, as you need a dial indicator to do it right. This manual has the procedure.

mymowerparts.com/pdf/Tecumseh-Service-and-Repair-Manuals/TECUMSEH-SERVICE--REPAIR-MANUAL-3HP-TO-11HP-4-CYCLE-L-HEAD-FLAT-HEAD-ENGINES-692509.pdf

skidude17

Forum Newbie
Threads
Did you reset the ignition timing after you replaced the points and condenser? If not that could be your problem. This is a common mistake by those who have not worked on Tecumseh engines. Probably the most difficult to set, as you need a dial indicator to do it right.

I found this same answer elsewhere, and I didn't set the timing. I actually found a video on youtube from the '80s that Tecumseh made describing how to properly time it. I figured out a trick to do it without the dial indicator. I removed the head, and measured the distance btdc with my caliper. That did the trick. Thanks for your help.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thank you for letting us know the problem was solve. Most people won't take the time to do so. Techs on this forum appreciate it.