Difference between a HR215HXA and HR215SXA

Chris Parman

Threads
I have a chance to by a HR215SXA model for $200 and it's in very good condition (from original owner), but I just don't understand the difference with respect to the transmission. Perhaps the Honda Gurus can help me out here, thanks.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads

3-speed transmission, no longer available, although parts are available

After checking oil level & color I would try it out for 20 minutes or so, all 3 speeds. If all goes well I would offer $150 & go from there. I have same model that I purchased new in 1990, still running strong.

Last edited:

tranchinh

Threads
I have a chance to by a HR215SXA model for $200 and it's in very good condition (from original owner), but I just don't understand the difference with respect to the transmission. Perhaps the Honda Gurus can help me out here, thanks.
the SXA is gear driven trans that ran good and last ,howevver when engage sometime it lift up the front end a little cause not even cut (some people say that )but it don't bother me at all .The HXA driven by hydrolic pump and you get very smooth when engage and variable speed depend on how much you open the valve .The engine that have HXA trans will have higher ratio at PTO shaft so if you swap to SXA trans it will run too fast and cut uneven even at low speed ( I found out a hard way )